Blackberry Port Winexpert Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neviawen

Reaction score
Hello,
I had a question about making blackberry port.
I recently started a batch of Wineexpert Blackberry port but I also had 2 gallons of Blackberry Wine that I started at the same time. I decided that since the kit was only 3 gallons that I would make the 2 gallons of Blackberry Wine into port to, just following the same instructions and when they are finished I could try them side by side and see the difference. I figured this would be a good experiment to see how each of them turned out- kit vs. fresh berries.
After primary fermentation I already saw the difference- the Blackberry juice that I got from fresh berries that I picked was a tad bit lighter in color than the blackberry juice that came in the Winexpert kit. No biggie, just thought that was interesting.

The next stage was adding the additional sugar when the SG reached a certain level. Both batches reached it the goal SG pretty much the same time so I added the sugar to each. The next stage was to rack it to secondary when it reached the next SG goal of 1.018. So now both are in carboys and have waiting the 10 days that the instructions told me to wait after they went into the carboys.

So now I am at the stabilizing stage: The Winexpert kit is at SG: 1.010 (as per the insturctions said it should be there or less) and my 2 gallons are fermented completly dry- they are 0.990. The instructions for the Winexpert kit say to add kmeta, sorbate, stir that up, then add the Fpack, stir, then add the clearing agent and wait 14 days, then bottle. This all seems really rushed to me.

There is still about an inch of gunk on the bottom of the carboys. Why don't they have me rack it before adding all the ingredients? I thought Fpacks were added in after you racked off the lees and added the kmeta and sorbate.
This is the first port I've made and I've never used a Fpack before. I made a fpack from berries as per Tom's instructions that I found here on the site. THOSE instructions say to add kmeta,sorbate, rack, then add the fpack.
I guess i"m just looking for clarification before I go ahead and add all the final ingredients! Do I rack or leave it in there and stir it all back in?
(Also, sorry for the insanely, long-winded post. I just wanted to get all the info out there so you guys can point me in the right direction!) ~Kate

I would think you would rack it again but maybe they are aging on the lees to help smooth it out more, havent done enough wine to know but from reading here some say it helps round it out better

WinExpert kits want you to stir the sediment back up at this stage - they use a single clearing agent and require the sediment to work with it to clear the wine. Some other kits use a two part clearing agent and don't need the sediment to work.
So stir it up as directed and it will all settle out again quite quickly.
Regarding bottling soon, you don't have to; you can let it age in the carboy if you wish and bottle later.
I made this port kit a year ago and it has been disappointing to me; hopefully yours will turn out to your liking and hopefully mine will improve with age.

Back