Blackberries and Plums

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gowers Choice

Reaction score
Have 12 gal of plums and 3-4 gal of berries. Going to make a 5 gal batch of plum and maybe a 5 gal batch of plum-berry. Any words of wisdom on the mixed batch?

Plums are typically low in acid while blackberries are the exact opposite. If you don't have a ph meter i would suggest mixing them, else just separate some of it into 1 gallons and experiment!! I have done a lot of plum batches personally and i love it with heavy toast french or Hungarian oak.
Good luck!

I have found that with most fruit wines it is best to make them separate then blend later. It also helps to blend wines that are similar in flavor strength. Plum is very mild while raspberries and especially blackberries are stronger. It will take a small amount to overpower the plum. On the other hand plum almost always seems like it is missing something and tastes a bit thin unless an incredible amount of fruit is used. A couple bananas per gal of plum wine helps a lot. Good luck !

Pete

Latest posts

Back