Black currant *really* tart

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishNiX

Reaction score
My black currant is really tart. I love sour stuff but I don't think I could drink more than a 1/2 glass.

Must:

4quarts "Just Black Currant" juice
1/2tsp energizer
1tsp nutrient
1.5c sugar disolved in 2c water
1 campden tab

Starting SG: 1.064.

Made starter from must and pitched yeast: (71B-1122) after 24 hrs.

Any thoughts on making it less tart? I have not sweetened yet. Will age help?

Ive never not added water when making this wine, looks like is does need the dilution and then upped with sugar to get the abv where it needs to be. Im using about 5 lbs per gallon.

What kind of juice. is it the Loonza juice?

My black currant is really tart. I love sour stuff but I don't think I could drink more than a 1/2 glass.

Must:

4quarts "Just Black Currant" juice
1/2tsp energizer
1tsp nutrient
1.5c sugar disolved in 2c water
1 campden tab

Starting SG: 1.064.

Made starter from must and pitched yeast: (71B-1122) after 24 hrs.

Any thoughts on making it less tart? I have not sweetened yet. Will age help?

Ive never not added water when making this wine, looks like is does need the dilution and then upped with sugar to get the abv where it needs to be. Im using about 5 lbs per gallon.

Water it down and increase the abv with vodka? Guess I better get some practice with the square.

I still haven't done anything with this. I'm wondering if I should make a white grape juice wine and blend the two?

I started a 1g batch of basic white grape juice wine. starting sg of the juice is 1.064 (surprised me!). added acid blend, nutrient, energizer, pectic enzyme and a smidge of tannin. I'll pitch tomorrow.

I just saw SGWs post and it got me thinking... Ive got 6g of skeeter pee clearing... What about blending SP + currant? I guess I could try both ;)

That would work just be careful as the Currant can over power stuff fast!

Latest posts

Back