Black Cherry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, OilnH2O.........must see if anyone imports them...bigger and sweeter than a Bing...aaah, to die for!

I "unfroze" 28 lbs of pitted Lapin sweet cherries.

20070212_135411_IMG_1345_Small.JPG

I was able to get about 2 1/2 gallons of juice from these, then addedtwo 1-qt jars of Knudsen "Just Tart Cherry" juice. I'm modifying Jack Keller's number 2 recipe (of the three he has for Black Cherry). I decided to keep the cherries IN the must during fermentation (even though Jack implies discarding the fruit after squeezing). Initial SG 1.092

20070212_140028_IMG_1349_Small.JPG

Adjusted acid from about 0.90+ to about 0.70 with some more sugar and two more quarts of "Just Tart Cherry" (bringing that up to 1 gallon total). I think it will be about 4 gallons sweet cherry juice/H2o to the 1 gallon tart cherry juice. The yeast is Lalvin 71B 1122 and it really took off!

20070212_140717_IMG_1350_Small.JPG

"Vigorous" hardly describes the fermentation. In fact, it came up out the airlock and over the sides a couple of times -- nip and tuck -- and was quick!

Jack Keller suggested the fermentation temperature be at 55-60 degrees and I think my 74-76 degrees caused the vigorous fermentation. After only 6 days the SG was down to 1.004 and it has been racked into a carboy and bubbles about once every 3 minutes. The next rack should get it to 5 gallons.

One question for all you experts -- the recipe called for bentonite("to eliminate proteins andsettle solids")to be added during fermentation (which I did not do, since I did not have any). I'm expecting an order from George today or tomorrow, with bentonite -- any reason to add it now? Since two of the recipes did NOT call for bentonite I don't think this is any error-- just curious as to anyone's input!

smiley2.gif

It helps if you add it in the beginning to give the yeast a platform to
build on and help compact the lees but is in no means ever a necessity.
Just never add it after primary fermentation if you are ever going to
use Lysozyme to inhibit lacto actic fermentation as it will bind with
the lysozyme and render it useless.

That looks awesome Oil......I am going to have to try me a Cherry now. That is one I have never done.
Thanks for the inspiration

"Just never add it after primary fermentation if you are ever going to use Lysozyme to inhibit lacto actic fermentation as it will bind with the lysozyme and render it useless. "

Wow, Wade I'm impressed. You must have been taking lessons from PeterZ.
smiley36.gif

Some experts recommend adding Bentonite after racking to be more gentle on the flavors, feeling that adding in the beginning strips the flavors. I have done it both ways and have had similar results.

I think in this case I would just leave it out and play it safe, since black cherry is not a powerful flavor like black currant or similar small fruits.

That looks great, Thanks for the photos...I am sure you are going to have a really nice wine....

Thanks for the input!

I think I'll forego the bentonite this time, and just see what happens. I'm pleased thus far and in the secondary the bubbles have slowed down to one every now and then -- more than 3-4 minutes apart. I've never "back-sweetened" or anything like that, and really don't like sweet wines, so I'll have to bulk-age this, I think, before bottling, and 'study-up' about the process of fruit wines. But, it's early!

Thanks for the comments! It's what's so great about this forum!
smiley20.gif

Oil, Things are looking really good there. Keep us posted on how things are going... jh

Sorry I didn't get back to ya bud but I've been ultra buzy with work lately and haven't been hear on the forum in a while. I don't have my recipe handy but I know that I used 4-5 lbs of frozen black cherries. I'll be racking it tonight so hopefully I'll have some pics.

Pete

Back