Black cherry [Prunus Serotina]

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpoland

Reaction score
Hello wine makers. I found big wild plantation of black cherries they were in such a great condition so I decided to make an experiment and make some wine. I found the recipe.

For 10L of wine:
7kg or black cherry
2,4kg of sugar
4,5l water
I am making 5l of this wine. I crushed the fruit add some water and yeast. After 2 days I separated the fruit and wine/juice. Wine/juice went to the carboy and I added some water to the fruit and left it over night. I added a little bit water and sugar to the wine/juice. On the next day I squeezed the fruit and add the juice to the main wine with some more water and sugar. When I will see the fermentation is slowing down I will fill it up with the rest sugar and water. I was reading, seeds of black cherry contains hydrogen cyanide what is toxic because of this reason I kept the fruit just for few days. So far the fermentation is very strong and it has very rich aroma.

Does anyone made wine from black cherries? I would be very happy to hear some opinions about the final product.

Are these the wild cherries commonly called Black Cherry, or are these sweet cherries that ripen really dark?

I haven't tried the wild variety yet, but I've used sweet black cherry in quite a few recipes with other stuff. Yummy!

I think black cherry is a common name. here is a pic it should help to see what I am talking about. At spring time it has white flowers.

czeremcha_amerykanska_701.jpg

Czeremcha_amerykanska_lato.jpg

Yep, those are the wild ones. I have a lot around here, but haven't done anything with them yet.

Please post progress along the way ...

Cool! It is so strange because on one tree the fruit are quite testy and on the tree just next to not the best with bitter flavor. I picket trees only with the best flavor and I will see. Very easy to pick and the fermentation is great. The fruit were very productive I got lots of juice from it even there is big seed inside. After short fermentation the wine has strong bitter flavor:( but I was reading it is normal and it will disappear with the time. I will post it here how it goes. I am hitting for strong wine so it will take some time…. I hope somebody else can share some more experience about this fruit.

We have two different kinds of these cherries. One is Chokecherries, when you put a handful of these in your mouth, your mouth puckers up bad and the other kind we call Pin Cherries. The Pin cherries rippen about 2-3 weeks after the Chokecherries and they do not make your mouth pucker up. The Pin cherries do not have a lot of flavor. I just finished transferring two different batches of Chokecherry to the secondary (1with raisins, one with crape concentrate).
This weekend I well pick the Pin Cherries to make two batches of them. Very good year for both. Also well be picking blackberries.

Latest posts

Back