Best Size Carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony49

Reaction score
Presently I'm using 3 gallon carboys for my wine making.
The next time I visit my local lhs I'd like to pick up two larger size.
They have 5,6 and 6 1/2 gallon glass carboys.
Also will pick up a couple one gallon jugs, as the ones I had got lost in the move.
So, which size would be the most practical.
They will be used for fruit and perhaps my first grape. This brew store gets local grapes. Certainly a temptation.
Tony...

6 gallon. Sometimes its nice to have some 5's as well, if you need to rack down. I have mostly 6's, with a couple 5's and some 3's for small batches.

One that you can pickup and move when full. Liquids only, 5 gallon is about 40lbs, 6 gallons near 50lbs. Glass is heavy, plastic not much additional weight.

Last edited:
I have 5 and 6 1/2. I can comfortably carry the 5 gallon, but 6 1/2 is just too much for the back.

I just went and weighed my 6 1/2. Wine is 8.3 lb per gallon, my 6 1/2 gallon carboy weighed 15.3 lbs...a total of 69.5lbs. So at nearly 70lbs, that is just more than I want to pick off the ground and lift to waste high. I try not to plan on having to lift them, but seems like I just end up doing it. Given that, I'd rather only have 5 gallon containers.

Last edited:
I like starting in a 6 1/2 and by the time it is ready to transfer a 6 gallon works perfectly.
But I do have the following in gallon sizes in carboys

I think having five and six are your best bet. You will need both!

Thank you all for your advice.
I'll probably start with a five and a six.
I will also get the nylon carboy carrier to go with them, since I no longer have a 20 year old back (or a 50 for that matter).
May be time to look at a mechanical pump.
Cheers!
Tony...

I would get one of the 6.5. By the time you add the f-pack, you are way over 6 gallons. With the next racking, you can rack to a 6 gallon, and have extra in a smaller bottles (350 ml, 750 ml, 1.5L, gallon, etc.) to top off.

Maybe 2 6.5 gallons.

When I rack, I rack to a "spare" carboy using the AIO, and dose with K-meta. I then clean the original carboy, and rack back. Having the extra room in the "spare" carboy allows me to rack without stopping (have to stop before the carboy is full). Stopping the racking process can cause backflow in the tubing that disturbs the sediment you are trying to leave behind. Having a 6.5 gallon as the "spare" is useful.

OK, to sum up here...

You are looking to expand your operation from 3 gallon carboys to 5 or 6 gallon carboys.

How many member here firmly believe that in 1 year's time, he will be looking to upgrade from those puny 6 gallon carboys to 54 liter demijohns (14.26 gallons)? :)

My money is that in 5 years we will be advising on stainless steel tanks. :)

As often said, this is not a hobby. but an obsession!

You may have a point John.
I originally started with one gallon jugs. Bottles just seemed to go down too fast.
Hmmm....I do like stainless steel!

Latest posts

Back