Best Dry Red Ready to drink in 12 months or less?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallTexan

Reaction score
I have searched for a thread addressing this question, but haven't really found an answer, so please forgive me if I am being redundant. I have been asked to make wine for my daughter's upcoming wedding in April 2017. I have experience with Winexpert, CellarCraft and RJS kits, ranging from 10 liters to 18 liters of juice, 4 week to 8 week kits. My daughter has asked for a dry red and a white for her reception. The white will be no problem, but I am in need of suggestions for a good dry red that will be ready to drink a year from pitching. I do not want Island Mist or Skeeter Pee. As for pairing, the menu fare will most likely be barbecue brisket. I have made a Selection International Argentinian Malbec that I think tasted decent at 8 months, though it was still a bit rough around the edges...but in my opinion, even commercial Malbecs taste a bit rough to me. I appreciate any other kit suggestions, and thank you in advance!

Although it continues to improve well beyond the year that you have available, the Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot is very tasty and smooth even early in its life.

I've also made Gamay (Nouveau Beaujolais style wine), which is a nice early drinker, but it's very light for barbecue.

I've had @jgmann 's Stags Leap Merlot at less than a year and his latest reports have been very favorable (his notes have a 5/1/15 start date on them). I've made a WE Selection Sangiovese (started 8/1/15) and a Valpolicella (started 11/21/15) that have been very promising way earlier than a year. My only worry with them is whether they will stand up to a good Texas brisket or not.

If you have access to fresh juice from Chile, that may be an option. But they can have variable results (from what I've read here), so might be better to bank on a kit that has more predictable results.

Congratulations to your daughter and soon to be son in law and hope their big day goes well!

Last edited:
Although it continues to improve well beyond the year that you have available, the Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot is very tasty and smooth even early in its life.

I've also made Gamay (Nouveau Beaujolais style wine), which is a nice early drinker, but it's very light for barbecue.

I also agree with Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot the Beaujolais is not a dry red, it's more a fruity light wine but is one of my favorites! It pairs well with most anything if your not a big red drinker. You might want to consider having both for your guest because they might not have a trained palet sort to speak for a big dry red it took me a few years to appreciate the big reds. I've never had the opportunity to try the Sangiovese or the super Tuscan but lots on here speak good of the super Tuscan if I didn't have 3 big reds going now I would definatly try that! Maybe I'll start one this summer lol

Last edited:
Winexpert Australian Petit Verdot with Grape Skins is a dry red that's an early drinker.

I really like the WE Luna Rosa. It's more of a medium red than a big red. We bottled half of it dry and then back sweetened the other half to make a chillable red. That might work well with Texas BBQ and hot Texas days.

I also agree with Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot the Beaujolais is not a dry red, it's more a fruity light wine but is one of my favorites!

A dry wine is simply a wine that has no residual sugar, meaning it isn't sweet. Although I don't know how you've made your Beaujolais style wines, mine were indeed dry, and red, as well as fruity and light.

If you go for the Diablo Rojo, yes, it's a good early drinkable wine but don't add the f-pack during stabilization if you want to drink it when it's more than 8 months old. It gets sweeter the longer you leave it... so you might want to add half the f-pack to the primary. That said, I'd class it as a light and fruity wine which might be a good alternative to something with more body and strength of character.

We like the WineExpert Vintners Reserve, Mezza Luna Red for a early drinking red. At 9 months it is good, but I don't think I'll ever find out how good it would be at a year old...it's going too fast. Second batch is working now and I can already see I should have started two kits at once. Everybody seems to like this Mezza Luna Red.

A dry wine is simply a wine that has no residual sugar, meaning it isn't sweet. Although I don't know how you've made your Beaujolais style wines, mine were indeed dry, and red, as well as fruity and light.

I stand corrected John it's the misconception of how fruity and light it is. I take it down to .998 though.

Winexpert Australian Petit Verdot with Grape Skins is a dry red that's an early drinker.

That's my vote too. It is designed to be an early drinker. At 9 months it is very good. At 12 months, even better.

I did the kit before they added grape skins. I can only imagine how much better it is now. I did the kit when I needed a quick drinker as I was building up my inventory. Time to do the kit again.

I don't do kits, but there are a number of good suggestions here. Keep in mind, not everybody likes dry, not everybody likes sweet. Split batches sound like a good compromise. Also, keep in mind this is a wedding. To me, the best wine usually is the third glass. So I'd add just a little more sugar prior or during fermentation to punch up the main component of the wine(s). Then I'd make sure everybody had a glass or more before bringing out the buzz killing food. And then do a lot of laughing and celebrating even if not everything is perfect.

Eclipse Old Vines Zinfandel is pretty good by its first birthday. Label Peelers has it on sale right now for a buck fifteen. Great deal, I just ordered 3 of them this morning.

Latest posts

Back