RJ Spagnols Best ABV for RJS Orange Chocolate Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTS

Reaction score
I recently finished the RJS Orange Chocolate Port. Final abv is 16.2% and I plan to fortify with brandy. I would appreciate some input from those who have made this kit on how high to take the abv level. I usually fortify to 19.5-20%, but for some reason I think this may be too high for this particular kit. I am thinking that about 18% is as high as I want to go. My concern of course is overpowering the flavor of the wine, which is quite good, with the brandy addition. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have done this several different ways using spirits of different flavors and alcohol content the best flavor and marrying of flavors was done with Continneau. This added depth to the orange in the kit and the fortification came out to 17.5 according to calculation on the pearson square. I agree the flavors are not deep enough to carry 20% after all these type of port styles are about the flavors. ( I hope I spelled Conteneau properly)

Its actually Cointreau but we knew what you meant! That would seem like a nice addition to this particular port (in small amounts).

Interesting suggestion. I had not considered Cointreau, something to think about. Thanks.

I never heard of Cointreau before so had to Google it. Ive made this kit three times with no addtitions with only one complaint. I thought the chocolate was a bit over powering and couldn't taste the orange. I will certainly try this next time I make it. Incidently I see a special coming up on this product soon.

I finally got around to the Orange Chocolate Port. I decided to try using the Cointreau, and I am very pleased with the results. The addition of about 400 ml brought the abv to 17%, and really brought out the orange flavor. I highly recommend Cointreau as both a fortifying agent and flavor enhancer.

Thanks to rjb222 for the heads up.

Greg

Intresting.... i never heard of Cointreau, a quick check and it`s 40%...do you think you can get it to 18-19 % ?....400ml with a little grain? i`ll be racking mine soon, and adding some oak,think i`ll do a little bench testing....

Cointreau I knew what it was and dang! I wished I had thought of using some before I bottled my Chocolate Orange Port. My ABV was about the same 16.2 and really not much orange taste so we were a little disappointed in it.

Cointreau I knew what it was and dang! I wished I had thought of using some before I bottled my Chocolate Orange Port. My ABV was about the same 16.2 and really not much orange taste so we were a little disappointed in it.

I'll have to buy another this year just to try that. Or maybe some zest in secondary.

My experience with this kit is that the orange taste really comes through after a couple of years, so don't give up on it!

My experience with this kit is that the orange taste really comes through after a couple of years, so don't give up on it!

I don't plan to. It's still very enjoyable. In fact, I cracked a bottle last weekend. At six months with half a bottle of brandy added, it's very nice and the chocolate is becoming less powerful.

Intresting.... i never heard of Cointreau, a quick check and it`s 40%...do you think you can get it to 18-19 % ?....400ml with a little grain? i`ll be racking mine soon, and adding some oak,think i`ll do a little bench testing....

I'm sure you could get to 18-19% with the addition of some grain alcohol, but I would be careful that you don't overpower the flavors. As to the 400 ml I added, that was based on taste alone. I added the Cointreau until I felt like the orange flavor was where I wanted it and based on that volume, recalculated my abv.

You could always decant, make the Cointreau addition and rebottle. Quite a bit of trouble, but if you're not happy with it now, that might be an option.

Latest posts

Back