Berkey water filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunk

Reaction score
Bottled spring water, bottled filter water, or Berkey filtered water.
We have this filter very nice. It filters out metals chemicals. Your supposed to be able to take stream water be able to drink. (Havent tryed). Great ..takes out 95% nitrates. So saying which water best for wine and mead making.

Bottled spring water, bottled filter water, or Berkey filtered water.
We have this filter very nice. It filters out metals chemicals. Your supposed to be able to take stream water be able to drink. (Havent tryed). Great ..takes out 95% nitrates. So saying which water best for wine and mead making.

We love our Berkey water filter. I used bottled spring water before the Berkey arrived. Now I just use the filtered water for our wine making.
We also use a reverse osmosis five stage filter system under kitchen sink and that seems to work just great. The first sediment filter really gets nasty looking when I change it every six months. We have had 2 dogs die of cancer in the last few years and we want to make sure our new dogs and us are drinking good safe water. Fluoride removal is important to us because we have city water that is treated with it.

I agree with you no flouoride. I dont trust city water either. All the run offs from big farming and chemical everyone puts in their lawns. We had a big nitrate prob several weeks ago. Everyone out buying bottle water. Watch to dog food a lot of crap in it. I will use my filtered water. I was just wondering about flavor and all. I know i read that purified bottle water somtimes gives it a different taste as too spring.

We haven't noticed any difference in flavor using filtered water.

Will

Just noticed this about Berkey water filters.
I used an under sink pair of filters when living in Florida. These worked fine. Filers were changed once a year at a cost of $25 each.
Now my water source is a private well and I'm again thinking about filtration for drinking, cooking, and of course wine making.
Wouldn't mind getting more comparison information.
T...

Just noticed this about Berkey water filters.
I used an under sink pair of filters when living in Florida. These worked fine. Filers were changed once a year at a cost of $25 each.
Now my water source is a private well and I'm again thinking about filtration for drinking, cooking, and of course wine making.
Wouldn't mind getting more comparison information.
T...

Well you can alway's check out Berkey's web site for info. and here is another site that is worth a look of other systems that you maybe interested in. http://www.freedrinkingwater.com

Will

Thanks Willie.
Apec seems primarily to be for R.O. or whole house systems.
Berkey seems to make some important claims for their filter system. But, has the inconvenience of having to refill the system by hand when it gets low.
A filter for under counter and hooked into your existing pipes that has the Berkey claimed efficiency would be something that would interest me.
Tony...

I like the berkey for drinking and cooking only. The regular tap is for washing. Its not to bad refilling for me As seems im in the Kitchen all the time.

I agree with you no flouoride. I dont trust city water either. All the run offs from big farming and chemical everyone puts in their lawns. We had a big nitrate prob several weeks ago. Everyone out buying bottle water. Watch to dog food a lot of crap in it. I will use my filtered water. I was just wondering about flavor and all. I know i read that purified bottle water somtimes gives it a different taste as too spring.

Here is a fact about bottled water, why it is not really a good choice

At 50 cents a gallon, spring water is my choice for wine making. Most bottled water is nothing but municipal tap water with crap added. Purified water almost always contains chlorine which is used in the purification process. This can react with any remaining organic material in the water to produce carcinogens. It also kills off a lot of the beneficial bacteria in your gut. Chlorine can also destroy essential fatty acids, which make up the cells of the brain and nervous system. Purified water is usually devoid of any of the natural minerals found in spring water.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back