Bentonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I read somewhere on the internet not to add bentonite until after all fermentation is complete. Now I read to add it 12 hours before adding the yeast. Must have read it wrong, how much bentonite do you add per gallon in the must before you add the yeast?

Thanks

Semper Fi

Bentonite is a clarifing agent. I can not concieve of a reason that you would want to add this prior to fermentation (since fermentation would result in a lot of sediment in the form of dead yeast.

Usually, bentonite is added as almost a final step, meaning that several rackings are usually performed before its addition to the wine.

I was reading Wade's comment on a post titled "Another Sorbate Question", it seems like on his second post he is talking about Bentonite ?

Semper Fi

Some kits have you add bentonite as the first step. There are two different schools of thought on when to add bentonite. One school says to add it to the must before you add yeast. The other school of thought suggests that bentonite be added after fermentation has been completed. There is no right or wrong answer, and with your own experimentation, you may end up with your own preference. Regardless of when you add it, the actions of bentonite are the same. However, some believe that there is an additional benefit when adding to the must before fermentation begins. The violent action of fermentation mixes the bentonite more completely

I use bentonite also to help at beginning to deal with proteins in the must(usually in mead) but I also use it in heavy reds at beginning and use a different classifier at end. If using bentonite at end I have to wait a long time if I am going to filter the wine because it clogs the filter pads. This is a case of you need to do some thing on your own to see what works better for you and the kind of wine you are making. Please note:bentonite will also remove some tannins from wine and this may not be a desirable thing for you

Although bentonite is considered a clearing agent, it doesn't seem to function as other clearing agents (eg isinglass, chitosan, kieselsol). Bentonite primarily gets rid of protein haze. It can apparently perform this function during or after fermentation.

Bentonite also aids the yeast during fermentation by providing nucleation sites.

Steve

Although bentonite is considered a clearing agent, it doesn't seem to function as other clearing agents (eg isinglass, chitosan, kieselsol). Bentonite primarily gets rid of protein haze. It can apparently perform this function during or after fermentation.

Bentonite also aids the yeast during fermentation by providing nucleation sites.

Steve

if it provides nucleation sites, then does it reduce the need to degas?

Also benonite doesn't float. So if fermentation is complete with no CO2 being created, it will just sink to the bottom.

Kit makers have you add it prior to fermentation because it can do some clarification during the fermentation and they can include less total(cost savings). If you add it after fermentation, it will sink to the bottom and you have to stir it around every few days to get it to work.

At least that is what I have read :)

I was always under the impression that bentonite (when added to wine) forms a cloud of insolable minerals. as the cloud settles, the bentonite carries other particulate materials down with it (thus clarifing your wine).

My perception may be incorrect, but I fail to see why one would want to stir it up once it begins to settle.

Latest posts

Back