Beginning to Feel Like Home...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

Reaction score
Our new house in Wellsboro, PA is beginning to feel like home. [Even though we've family and friends here in this area I didn't realize how much I'd be missing the family and friends we left in CT.]

What has helped, in no small measure, has been getting back to wine making. Have started 2 kits and a DB variation since moving into the new house/home in July. Got an RJS VdV Pinot Grigio bottled just yesterday, got a DB variation bulk aging and just this morning stabilized a WE Selection Malbec.

I have a WE Selection Amarone sitting on a basement wine shelf and 20 pounds of cut up peaches waiting in the freezer for my 2nd make of a Peach DB variation. I'll have to decide which to do next and start planning for the 2016 wine making season.

Last edited:
Hey Bill, just this morning I was wondering about you and thought about sending a text but then things got in the way and forgot...

I'm glad to hear you're doing well, hope we can talk soon...

Bill, glad to hear you and wife are getting settled and back in the swing of things! Though you are well into your own process, I am jealous that you are sooooo close to the Finger Lakes. Not only because of the hundreds of winery's/brewery's/distilleries, but also the great scenery and historical influences. Needless to say, wife and I enjoy even a day trip to the area

Bill, glad to hear you and wife are getting settled and back in the swing of things! Though you are well into your own process, I am jealous that you are sooooo close to the Finger Lakes. Not only because of the hundreds of winery's/brewery's/distilleries, but also the great scenery and historical influences. Needless to say, wife and I enjoy even a day trip to the area

Yeah, we're just over an hour away from Watkins Glen, NY. Beautiful area. Maybe making a trip again there soon with a friend here in PA that does what I call "binge" wine making. Goes up with a bunch of empty carboys and buckets and gets all his juice for a years worth of wine.

Hey welcome to the neighbor hood. I'm about 45 minutes away from wellsboro but work close to the pa border. It's the beginning of harvest time here. If you need places to buy from let me know and I'll give you names!

Wow! Bill, just like Geek posted earlier I had the strange realization I have not seen any posts from you in a while. Moving is tough!

Steve

Wellsboro is a beautiful small town... Always enjoyed eating at the Wellsboro Diner on the way to camp in Potter County. We would stop every time on our way there. Enjoy and welcome to PA!

Earlier this week had some friends from Bermuda visit us for a few days. They really liked Wellsboro, enjoyed an evening meal at The Log Cabin Inn and were blown away with the views from the Grand Canyon (PA) overlook. Also, got very excited seeing the deer around our property.

BTW, bought 6 gallons of fresh pressed apple cider ($30.00 US) from a local cider mill to use to make my first apple wine.

Bill, my Mom and step Dad love going to the Log Cabin Inn. Did you go up to Colton Point overlook or Leonard Harrison? If you went to Colton Pt. (via Colton Road) you went right by the access road to our cabin (Owassee Rd - has a sign as a "day use area only", no camping). We are at the end of it, about 1 1/2 miles. Sounds like you are adjusting to Tioga County quite well, good luck with that apple wine.

Bill, my Mom and step Dad love going to the Log Cabin Inn. Did you go up to Colton Point overlook or Leonard Harrison? If you went to Colton Pt. (via Colton Road) you went right by the access road to our cabin (Owassee Rd - has a sign as a "day use area only", no camping). We are at the end of it, about 1 1/2 miles. Sounds like you are adjusting to Tioga County quite well, good luck with that apple wine.

Didn't know there were two overlooks. Guess it was the Leonard Harrison as it was just off Rt 660. Will have to check out the Colton Point overlook one of these days.

Colton Road is a left turn as you go west on Rt 6 on your way to Rexford (Log Cabin Inn). The "town" where you would turn is called Ansonia, used to be a gas station, restaurant/pub and a Church and Fly Fishing Shop. Right where Marsh Creek flows into Pine Creek (where Pine Creek turns due South) at the start of the Canyon.

Hey Bill,

Glad to hear from you again...

Now that you mentioned apple wine, I have been thinking about making a small batch ....

Hey Bill,

Glad to hear from you again...

Now that you mentioned apple wine, I have been thinking about making a small batch ....

Have you made it before? I like the apple cider recipe because it is by the gallon. Like that the price was only $5.00 per gallon - non pasteurized and no preservatives. There is a warning on the label that the very young, very old and imune deficient individuals might be effected by bacteria. I'm thinking that the k-meta and alcohol should take care of those little boogers by the time the cider has become a finished wine. We'll see down the road how it taste.

Huh?
Isn't that hard cider which is pressed apple juice?

Varis,

No, it will be an apple wine not a hard cider as I understand it after Googling to find the differences between the two.

Back