Beginner questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although the question has probably been answered sufficiently at this point, I just wanted to chime in and say two things.

First....Welcome to the forum. I'm a seasonal visitor myself. I'm here all winter and gone all summer. Summer is a very busy time for me and I just don't get the chance to do much with the wines. I bulk age them over the summer and change the solution in the air locks twice and that's about it.

Second, as to your question on the lids. This may sound like blasphemy to some, but I've never used a lid. There's enough CO2 in there to protect the wine for the most part. All you want to make sure of is that no bugs and stuff get in there. I just throw a towel over the top and use a bungee cord to secure it around the rim. I feel this lets it "breathe" a lot better during the primary fermentation stage. Once my S.G. drops between 1.02 and 1.01 I rack it into a carboy and secure an air lock. I've never had an issue doing this.

and make sure your pets have no access to the wine while it is open to accidents

thanks again for all your help.. at what point should i add sulphite if letting age over six months?

If you added your K-meta from the kit at clearing [which you should] and are bulk aging add 1/4 tsp every 90 days after that....the best would be to test free SO2, other wise just add 1/4 tsp.

I add 1/4 tsp about every 3 1/2 - 4 months myself and I do test S02 levels and keep them around 30 using that schedule.

ok I have a problem.. My Hydrometer rolled off the counter and broke. I wont be able to get another until Tuesday. when i took readings yesterday it looked like it was at 1.010. Its been in the main since last monday. Do you think i will be able to rack tomorrow or should i wait until i get my hands on a new hydrometer?

The number one item suggested in the emergency kit, an extra hydrometer!
smiley13.gif

I often rack at an SG. of 1.020 or lower...The heavy fermentation is done by then....Or you can go all the way to dry [about .995 or so] ....some will go this route, but I like to rack before fermentation is done to give the wine some CO2 protection... And as rrussell stated, having an extra hydrometer on hand is a good thing....They only seem to brake when you need them..
smiley7.gif

Oaking is kind of a personal taste thing, but I use a scale of, 3 to 5 days for saw dust, 5 to 10 days for chips and 4 to 12 weeks for cubes.....I would rack off the chips and if more oak is wanted add cubes at a later date....GOOD LUCK

ok so just moved for the first time to the secondary. At this point is it ok to top off with like wine or should i use water?

Hodge,
While still in secondary and before stabilizing and degassing, there is still enough CO2 in the wine and coming off the wine to protect it, so topping off is not necessary. Just be sure you have an air lock in place all during secondary.

hodge said:
ok I have a problem.. My Hydrometer rolled off the counter and broke.

A lesson we've all learned the hard way. I have five of them. With hydrometers it's a good idea to have a backup and a backup for your backup as well as a couple of backups for your backup of your backup. Like I said, I own five, but I've broken more than that many over the years (and I've only been at this since 2002).

After all, they seem a lot better at checking real gravity rather than specific gravity at times.

Ok here is another question.. I started the primary on the 10th, the secondary fermentaion on the 17th.. the next step is to stabilizing and clearing which says it should be around 20 days or .0998 or lower. it seems i am at .0998 however I am only on my 14th day. Should i give it a few more days? Will it hurt if i am at .0998 and let it sit longer before I stablilize?

hodge said:
Ok here is another question.. I started the primary on the 10th, the secondary fermentaion on the 17th.. the next step is to stabilizing and clearing which says it should be around 20 days or .0998 or lower. it seems i am at .0998 however I am only on my 14th day. Should i give it a few more days? Will it hurt if i am at .0998 and let it sit longer before I stablilize?

I would let it keep going. It could go lower. I have a CC Rosso Fortussimo at .995 that had the same instructions. Some kits (Wine Expert) suggest you have the same SG reading two days in a row to make sure it is finished. We must have started our kits on the same day and I am waiting till this weekend to stabilize and clear. That will be day 20 for me too.

Don't forget to splash rack back to primary before adding all of the stabilizers and classifiers. It is so much easier to degas/stir in the primary rather than in carboy. I hope you have one of those power drill stirrers. Then splash rack back into the carboy.

Latest posts

Back