Bees Eating My Muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have thirty muscadine vines of various varieties. This year, for the first time, bees are eating all the purple/black varieties except for the Noble. These bees have the appearance of small bumblebees, not honeybees. Carpenter bees, maybe?
Already a large percentage of the berries have been lost. Anybody got ideas on how to get rid of the bees?

Oh wow, did you see my post from today? Went to pick my muscadine yesterday and there were none. Didn't even consider it might be bees.

Oh wow, did you see my post from today? Went to pick my muscadine yesterday and there were none. Didn't even consider it might be bees.

I think the bees may be exploiting lacerations in the skin made by birds. The empty skins are left after the bees finish. Maybe my best option is to install bird netting. I have read that bees do not have the mouth parts necessary to pierce the skin. Not sure that's true of carpenter bees, though.
If you did not see any empty skins on the vine or ground, your vines probably didn't produce this year.

Around here common yellow jackets will wipe out a small grape crop before they even get fully ripe. Yes, they can chew right through the skin. Also on apricots, peaches, plums and any soft fruit.

Hit them early and often. GOOG "onslaught insecticide"

Latest posts

Back