Beer wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leelanau

Reaction score
My Muller-Thurgau that I sampled at month 2 last weekend had a tiny layer of whiteish-looking foam(?) on the top of the wine in the bottle. It was not there until I put the wine in the fridge to chill. The wine did not taste fizzy or feel carbonated in my mouth.When the wine settled after a few pours the white foam wasgone.Withthe color of my wine, honey-gold, it appeared to look like an ice cold Corona! Any thoughts? Leelanau

Tough to say. Foam is not that descriptive. I know it's hard sometimes to describe things, but let's see.

1. It's crystals. I doubt this, but could be.
2. It's sulfite. That's probably what it is ??
3. It's sediment. Doubtful, but if it settled, maybe.
4. It's something else.
smiley5.gif

Hmmm... Thanks for the suggestions MedPretzel. I did notice also a "clear" film where the cork was in the bottle after it was removed. Maybe frothy is a better word. I lean towards sulfite. I'll just keep an eye on the next bottle I open and see if this mystery substance is there.
smiley5.gif

Revisiting this topic - anyone else have any ideas? I have some bottles for Thanksgiving I am opening that also have the white foam and just thought I'd ask again and see. No need to post reply today - I will be back online in a day or twoand check fo replies / ideas. The wine is at 3 months in the bottle now. Not all bottles have this fowm. And it only appears when the bottle is chilled. Leelanau

If it is sulfite then decanting and letting the wine breath for an hour should resolve the problem. (Not like I did last night because I ran out of bottles and put some good but young wine in a lemonade pitcher in the refrigerator)

Does it foam just on pouring? Does the foam go away if you stir in a decanter for a few seconds?

What we've done to clean up a messy wine is run it through a paper coffee filter. (Some of our early fruit wines came out with loads of sediment.
smiley11.gif
) It's a good way to fix many sins. We just pour it through the filter into a glass water pitcher. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back