Beer in primary -- question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormbringer

Reaction score
My Barons Mexican Cerveza is in it's third day in the primary. Acording to the directions supplied with the kit, "In 3-6 days vigorous fermentation will subside, and the head of foam on top of the wort will drop. At that time you must rack the beer into the carboy."

O.K., the beer in the primary is making my house smell good but I have yet to see "the head of foam". Unless you are talking about when I mixed the ingredients.Thewort was showing a lot of fermentation the second day but today it has slowed. Still showing a bit of fermentingand bubbling though.

My question: I'm new to beer making so I need advise on when to rack this wort. Is my wort progressing as expected and what indicates (other than the aforequoted directions) when the wort is ready to rack?

I would not rack until at least day 5 to make sure the yeast has completed it's aerobic fermentation andgrowth stage before racking to the secondary.

Even though there isn't any target SG in the instructions I would say 1.015-1.020 is point to rack. Temperature of your fermentation area also has a effect on the length of time the primary fermentation takes.

I do all my fermentations at 70 F and normally don't rack out of the primary until the 7 day.

Don't worry about not seeing a bunch of foam. I've never seen much foam. You're fine.

DrtDoctor

I usually rack on the second day (after 24 hours) but I don't know what
I'm doing, just enjoying some really good beer...lol My beer seems to
be done rapid fermenting after 24 hours.

AAA, i am contemplating starting a "no boil" rjs beer kit. Have you tried the Irish Stout kit?

Back