beer (harpoon summer)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew master

Junior
Reaction score
hi guys,looking for a kit to make harpoon summer.can u help
smiley4.gif

I've never had Harpoon Summer, but according to Harpoon's website, it's a Kolsch-style ale. I also haven'thad a Kolsch yet, but I know it's a hybrid ale meaning it's an ale fermentedcloser tolager temps than most ales. To make one, you would need to use the correct yeast and to have the ability to control your fermentation temperatures around the high 50s to low 60s I believe.

I don't know of a pre-made kit, but here'sthe Kolschrecipe from Brewing Classic Styles:

Extract Version:
8.0 lbs Pilsener LME
0.25 lbs Munich LME

1.5 oz Hallertau hops (4% alpha acids) boiled 60 minutes

White Labs WLP029 orWyeast 2565

All-Grain Version:
Replace the Pilsener LME with 10.3 lbs continental (German) Pilsener malt. Replace the Munich LME with 0.5 lbs Vienna malt. Mash at 149 degrees F. With the low mash temp, you may need to lengthen the rest time to 90 minutes to get full conversion. Also increase the pre-boil volume as needed to allow a 90-minutes boil (still boil the hops only 60 minutes), which helps to reduce DMS in the beer.

Fermentation and Conditioning:
Use 2.5 yeast packages or make an appropriate starter. Ferment at 60 degrees F. Lager the beer for at least 4 weeks before bottling or serving. When finished, carbonate the beer to about 2.5 volumes.

Latest posts

Back