Beer bottles for wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southlake333

Reaction score
I've searched the forums and google and haven't found a clear answer for this. Obviously it is possible to bottle wine in beer bottles but will it last that way? Or rather, how long can wine last in a beer bottle with a crown cap?

The reason I ask is that I have approx 1200 beer bottles of varying sizes (half of them 500ml beer bottles) as I have found them easy (and cheap) to come by. But I don't want to bottle a ton of wine in them to have it go bad after 6 months.

The best information I have been able to find online is that crown caps provide a very good seal so anything inside should last for years assuming the wine does not go bad on its own. Thoughts?

I noticed oxygen absorbing caps at my lhbs and asked them about this topic, I wanted to use beer bottle for tasters so I know when my wine its aged enough and not have to open a whole bottle to try it. they said that there should be no problem using beer bottles and these oxygen absorbing caps will help even more. So today I bottled about 100 bottles of wine and have about 16 beer bottles capped for tasters as well so I hope they work.

neat about the O2 absorbers!

I was informed that for wine that is going to age at all not to use beer bottles because there is no micro oxidization.

which is confusing ... what is the difference between beer bottle caps and twist off wine bottle caps?

who is your lhbs? or cap info? please ... thx ;]

Latest posts

Back