Barrel wont stop leaking!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at the LHBS the other day and noticed they were selling Chesnut barrells. Anyone have any knowledge or experiance with them??

I was at the LHBS the other day and noticed they were selling Chesnut barrells. Anyone have any knowledge or experiance with them??

Yes I have and I did not like the barrel or the wine that came from it. Years ago (probably in 1990 or so) I bought a 20 gallon chestnut barrel that was made in Canada. I was skeptical but the vendor was high on the product and it was a real "bargain" compared to the oak barrels he sold. I never like the wine it produced because I felt it had a strange (probably chestnut!) taste much different than oak. It was only after the barrel neutralized that I felt it was okay and then I had to add oak to it when aging wine.

I realize that this is anecdotal but it is one person's experience. If you have the choice, I recommend going for oak.

Llario. How about an update. Did the second barrel ever stop leaking.

Hey John, yes it did finally stop leaking...took a while but it sealed up on it own without using any beeswax! Now I am thinking about another one to add to my collection.

Yes I have and I did not like the barrel or the wine that came from it. Years ago (probably in 1990 or so) I bought a 20 gallon chestnut barrel that was made in Canada. I was skeptical but the vendor was high on the product and it was a real "bargain" compared to the oak barrels he sold. I never like the wine it produced because I felt it had a strange (probably chestnut!) taste much different than oak. It was only after the barrel neutralized that I felt it was okay and then I had to add oak to it when aging wine.

I realize that this is anecdotal but it is one person's experience. If you have the choice, I recommend going for oak.

That's good to know. The price seemed very good, too good to be true compared to the oak. I started to read up on them and they say they should be close but I wouldn't risk the cost of the barrell or the wine either unless I was confident of the outcome.:re

Latest posts

Back