Barley Wine attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodah

Junior
Reaction score
I am planning on making this real soon. Any tips or suggestions, I am going to do a six gallon batch. I have never worked with welchs before, it is sulfited, so I am going to stir it good a few times a day before adding the yeast.

BARLEY WINE
1 lb. barley
1 pt. white grape concentrate
1-1/2 lb. granulated sugar
2 tsp. acid blend
1/4 tsp. grape tannin
1 crushed Campden tablet
6 pt. water
wine yeast and nutrient
Wash grain and soak 24 hours in 1 qt. water. Strain, crush grain, and pour grain and 6 pt. water through grain-bag over primary fermentation vessel.. Tie grain-bag and leave in primary fermentation vessel. Add all other ingredients except yeast to primary fermentation vessel, stir well to dissolve sugar, cover well, and add wine yeast after 24 hours. Set in warm place, covered, for five days, stirring daily. Strain juice from grain-bag, siphon liquor off sediment into secondary fermentation vessel and fit airlock. Rack after three weeks and again in two months. Dissolve 1/4 lb. sugar with 1/2 tsp. wine stabilizer in 1 pt. water and add to wine. When clear, rack again and bottle. Allow to age one year before tasting. [Adapted from Raymond Massaccesi's Winemaker's Recipe Handbook]

Latest posts

Back