Cellar Craft Barbera clearing question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJB

Reaction score
Greetings to the group and happy Monday :(
I am currently making the Showcase Barbera, my first time making this particular kit. I racked it into clearing on Jan 15 and expected to see some evidence of clearing by now (roughly 2 weeks), however it still appears opaque - I check for clearing progress by shining a high-power flashlight through the carboy, but no light is visible on the other side. I have done numerous other CC reds and generally see some evidence of clearing within a week.
Can anyone comment on their experience with the Barbera?

thanks in advance
Bob Bennett, Maple Vly, WA

Hi Bob,
Although I haven't personally made the Barbera, I can list possible reasons why the wine isn't clearing for this type kit:

1 - Incomplete degassing
2 - Failure to add packet of enzyme at first racking
3 - Absence of proper time interval between Kieselsol and Chitosan

As a general comment, degassing is more successful when you degas at a higher wine temperature (say, 74 degrees versus 66 degrees), and when you use a wine whip or something like a Fizz-X attached to a drill. Proper degassing is the best insurance towards clearing your wine.

Don't know if any of these will provide a clue, but hopefully the info is helpful.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back