Banana Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
This recipe is for a banana wine. I tweaked an already tweaked recipe from Jack Keller.

I made 2 gallons of it, but this recipe is for 1 gallon:
<UL>
<LI>4 pounds of bananas
<LI>6.5 pints of water
<LI>4 cups of sugar
<LI>1 cinnamon stick
<LI>2.5 tsp acid blend
<LI>1 tsp nutrient
<LI>1/8 tsp tannin
<LI>1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
<LI>1 campden tablet, crushed
<LI>Premier Cuvee yeast (1 packet)</LI>[/list]

Bring the water to a boil. Meanwhile, slice the bananas and skins into slices. Discard the stems. (I put them directly into a straining bag). When the water is boiling, add sugar and bananas and keep at a rolling boil for 30-40 minutes. After 30 minutes, I added the cinnamon stick and boiled for 10 minutes longer.

Start a yeast starter.

This is how far I am right now, but here's the further method:

When cooled to room temp, add all the other ingredients. Take an SG reading. Add theyeast starter to the primary fermentation vessel.

Ferment for 4-5 days, then remove the straining bag, letting it drip through a sanitized collander. Continue fermentation until the SG reaches 1.020, and then rack to a glass carboy. Don't forget to add 1 campden tablet at this time, and make sure it's topped up.

Rack when there is about 1/2 inch to an inch of sediment.

When clear, stabilize with 1/2 tsp sorbate. if you want a sweeter wine, sweeten to taste. Add 1 well-crushed campden tablet to the wine about a week before bottling.

They say to wait 6-12 months before trying it, but I don't know if it that is possible. It smells really good right now. Looks like muck, but smells great.

Changes I made: added cinnamon stick, used less bananas per gallon. Oh yes, I also changed how many peels I put in there.3/4 of the bananas were left with theirpeels on. Thegreener ones were taken off. I didn't add welch's concentrate yet on thisone. More to come soon, I am sure.

Edited by: MedPretzel

Oh alright.
smiley36.gif
I keep thinking of you guys now, and actually had the camera at hand (and brought it upstairs too):

2005-11-20_115608_bananas.jpg

The bananas.

2005-11-20_115639_banana_boiling.jpg

The boiling bananas.

2005-11-20_115658_banana_primary.jpg

The bananas in the primary.

Looks mighty good and can smell them bananas , mine smells good also i have a gaooln in the making

Harry

Opps i ment gallon in thee last post, I racked my Persimmon and my Marigold into glass tonight

Harry

P.S. i will get some pics on here shortly

Absolutely gross pictures coming.

"Parental discretion advised!"

smiley36.gif

2005-11-25_083402_bananaunstirred.jpg

After stirring:

2005-11-25_083418_bananastirred.jpg

The smell? Fantastic. If this clears like it's supposed to, then it's a keeper.

Good job Martina. That is one healthy looking fermentation you have going there.

I made a gallon of banana wine back in May-same method as you,Martina. I know, it looks gross in the primary, but the smell is heavenly,isn't it!

Mine cleared quickly.When I got ready to bottle this,I let my Mom try it-she thought it was "strange".

I gave her a bottle(truthfully, I didn't think she would ever open it).She opened that bottle a couple of days ago, and she really likes it now!

Getting ready to make another batch!
smiley14.gif

I think you will really like this- It is a keeper!I'm going to open my last bottle this May.

Thanks all,

I think I might devote one gallon to blending, but I've been known to go back on my original plan.
smiley36.gif
I think banana-crysanthemum might be the mix I'm looking for. So far, both smell very, very, VERY, VERY great, wonderful, super, everything!

M.

Martina,

What type of bananas have you used in your wine? I have a one-gallon aging approximately 1 year now. The banana wine clears quite rapidly on its own.

You have a nice batch going.
smiley1.gif

Hey Maui! Nice to see you back!
smiley1.gif
smiley32.gif

I used normal Dole Bananas, which I bought at the grocery store. At 29 cents per pound, I couldn't resist!
smiley36.gif
I'm sure they aren't as wonderful as your "Island Grown" ones, but if the smell is an indicator to the taste, I am sure it will be good.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Thanks Martina, it's nice to be back.

A young friend of mine supplies Dole with Bananas from the Phillipines. He has 25 acres growing. Those bananas are good!

Your wines look great!
smiley32.gif

smiley36.gif

Thanks Maui and Waldo!

It's nice to know that I'm making some wine that people might actually like!
smiley36.gif

Update.

Racked the banana wine today. Lots of sediment and it made me nervous.

2005-12-10_094716_banana_unracked.jpg

So, I racked.

2005-12-10_094753_banana_racked.jpg

Spencer was busy watching the birds at the bird feeder on his "couch".

2005-12-10_094821_banana_spencer2.jpg

2005-12-10_094833_banana_spencer.jpg

Winemaster,

The picture looked more fluffy-cloudy than it did in real life. It was a little more compact than it appears in the picture. I did the carboy-tilt for about a week, and it was thicker at the lowest part of the carboy. When I turned the carboy around 180 degrees, it disturbed the top layer a little. That was when I took the picture.

I also took a picture through the top opening of the gallon jug. It was what was left over.

2005-12-10_120901_banana_gunk.jpg

I'm currently in the clearing stages of mine, but Jack Keller says 6-12 months, which means for me "in 3 months, it's drinkable."
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back