Baking soda

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you can use baking soda to reduce acidity. However, it is sodium bicarbonate and can produce off flavors due to the sodium.

You're better off using potassium carbonate, potassium bicarbonate, or calcium carbonate. Always use less than you calculate needed, as it's far easier to add more than to take some out. Or get into a yo-yo situation in correcting the acid up-n-down.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm going to give it a few days to see if it kicks off. If it doesn't I might try to play or just start over. It's cheap enough
While this won't help you today, I follow the SP threads (haven't made it myself) and have seen advice to not add as much lemon juice, pre-fermentation, to keep the pH from being too low. You can add as much as you need post-fermentation.

While this won't help you today, I follow the SP threads (haven't made it myself) and have seen advice to not add as much lemon juice, pre-fermentation, to keep the pH from being too low. You can add as much as you need post-fermentation.
It was an error. Last time I added the last bottle after it was active

If you have enough equipment you could double your current batch too. Adding enough of the ingredients (except for more juice) to make a double batch should raise the ph to allow yeast activity. Either way you’re buying enough juice for another batch it seems
I have an electronic ph meter. I should just check it instead of guessing. Maybe I can figure out how much water I'll need to add to raise it. Than adjust the tannins etc accordingly

If you have enough equipment you could double your current batch too. Adding enough of the ingredients (except for more juice) to make a double batch should raise the ph to allow yeast activity. Either way you’re buying enough juice for another batch it seems
Ph is 2.8.

Latest posts

Back