Bad Little Johnnie...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So Little Johnnie's 5th grade class has an assignment to learn first hand about how capitalism works. Their teacher tells them that they have to come up with a product, market it, and then give an oral presentation on how much they earned and what they learned at the end of the month.

Report day comes and the teacher begins to call on the children to give their reports...

"Melinda, tell us about your venture."

"Well Ms. Johnson, I decided to sell cookies. It seems to work pretty well for the Girls Scouts and I figured who doesn't love cookies right? So My Mom helped me bake a bunch of chocolate chips and I sold them at our community flea market. I sold twelve dozen cookies and made a total of $36 after expenses."

"Very good Melinda, now let's here from Lindsey."

Class I decided that since we had a holiday, and people are always visiting family members on that day, I would sell flowers on the side of the road. My Dad took me down to the flower market early one day and helped me set up buckets of flowers on a busy street corner near where we live. I sold all of my flowers and made a net profit of $53 all together."

"Lindsey that's wonderful. Sounds like you've got a great start on a potential part time job."

And so it went, all through the rest of the class until there wasn't anyone left to report but that bad Little Johnnie in the back of the room. Not expecting that he even bothered to complete the assignment the teacher almost dismissively calls upon Little Johnnie to give his report...

"Well teach, I sold toothbrushes downtown... and I made over $1,200 last Friday afternoon."

Astonished, Ms. Johnson barely manages to reply:

"$1,200!... selling tooth brushes!? How ever in the world did you manage to do that?"

"Oh it was actually pretty easy," Johnnie responded.

"All I did was to set up a little table on the corner in front of the bank with a sign saying free snacks. I had plates of crackers with a little schmear on them that people would come up and help themselves to. As soon as they would take a bite they'd say Hey... this tastes like crap! And then I'd tell them, well of course it does... it is crap... wanna buy a tooth brush?"

Don't know why but I think of this joke every time I see a politician open his mouth. Republicans and Democrats alike, they're all trying to get me to eat another cracker... and buy another tooth brush. :(

Back