Bad Cabernets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPRIN42

Junior
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for my Yeasty Taste answers, As it turns out it was probably an acid problem. I bought a new PH meter and found that the PH level in our wines was way off.
That being said, we have made 3 different Cab. Savs over the last 2 years. 1 was from a kit and it came out OK, not good, but certainly not bad.
We have also made 2 from juice and they were atrocious. Very light in color and the taste just wasn't good. Ive tried adjusting the acid which helped, added conditioner which helped, but in general neither was a drinkable wine. Could it be bad juice (we did think that we didn't get what we paid for) or else we don't know what could make it so light or taste that bad.
Its not vinegar, so it didn't spoil in either case, but both did taste very tart,actually a little sour and just 0 redeeming qualities.
Any Ideas?

MPRIN42 said:
I want to thank everyone for my Yeasty Taste answers, As it turns out it was probably an acid problem. I bought a new PH meter and found that the PH level in our wines was way off.
That being said, we have made 3 different Cab. Savs over the last 2 years. 1 was from a kit and it came out OK, not good, but certainly not bad.
We have also made 2 from juice and they were atrocious. Very light in color and the taste just wasn't good. Ive tried adjusting the acid which helped, added conditioner which helped, but in general neither was a drinkable wine. Could it be bad juice (we did think that we didn't get what we paid for) or else we don't know what could make it so light or taste that bad.
Its not vinegar, so it didn't spoil in either case, but both did taste very tart,actually a little sour and just 0 redeeming qualities.
Any Ideas?

It would help if you posted more info: yeast used, ABV, acid levels, age of wine, other process steps that you did to help you diagnose your problems.

With kits and juice pails that lack body, try adding raisins in the future or a grape skin pack. Oak chips, beans, or spirals will give it more body.

Also, you said tastes "bad". What does it taste like, is it just not your style?

It would help if you posted more info: yeast used, ABV, acid levels, age of wine, other process steps that you did to help you diagnose your problems.

With kits and juice pails that lack body, try adding raisins in the future or a grape skin pack. Oak chips, beans, or spirals will give it more body.

Also, you said tastes "bad". What does it taste like, is it just not your style?

We used the red star yeast, The PH levels were 2.99 on one and 3.1 on the other. Ive gotten the oldest one (2 yrs) to a 3.4 and the newer one (1 yr) which is still in the Demijohn to 3.6. As far as the taste, even with the adjusted Ph levels it still has a sour<acidy taste If you will. Tough to describe. But certainly nothing appealing to anyones pallette

MPRIN42 said:
We used the red star yeast, The PH levels were 2.99 on one and 3.1 on the other. Ive gotten the oldest one (2 yrs) to a 3.4 and the newer one (1 yr) which is still in the Demijohn to 3.6. As far as the taste, even with the adjusted Ph levels it still has a sour<acidy taste If you will. Tough to describe. But certainly nothing appealing to anyones pallette

You could try a paper chromatography test. This will tell you which types of acid are in your wine. It's possible you have high malic acids which are rough. By introducing malolactic bacteria into your wine, it will convert the rough malic acid into a milder lactic acid.

There are also certain yeasts that metabolizes malic acid as well.

Latest posts

Back