Asorbic acid - apple wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
I have an apple wine in the primary - made from a Vintner's Harvest can, 3 1/2 gallons. I read some posts (here) where people had apple wines turn a dark brown color, and some people suggested asorbic acid as a way to avoid that.

Does this make sense?

If so, when/how should/can I add it? I added two tsps acid blend at the beginning. I have some asorbic acid. Should I put a tsp or so in when I rack it over to the secondary (likely tomorrow)?

TIA!

Mark

I do not have a bottle to look at. I would hope instructions are on the bottle. If not maybe someone else can post the amount.

This is the totality of the information on the bottle. Oh, well. I guess I'll just add a tsp and leave it at that. Thanks,

Mark

IMG_0870.JPG

I've been following a recipe that uses 1 tsp of bentonite per gallon in the primary. Rehydrate in 1c of juice or water before adding. This removes much of the browning and helps clearing as well when I rack after fermentation.

Cheers!

Ascorbic acid is Vitamin C and will not hurt you, however increased acidity can change the mouth feel after fermentation. I would have accounted for the increased ascorbic acid in the TA acid prior to fermentation. however. I feel it better to have a wine a bit tart rather than brown. so adding it to the primary is better than not. 1 teaspoon to 3 gallons should be OK.

Latest posts

Back