Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwwino

Reaction score
I have access to a bumper crop of apples this year. Thus far, I have only made apple wine andcider from unpastuerized juice. I have read recipes that use one of three methods: 1) crush and press the apples; 2) chop the apples into small pieces and ferment on the apple pieces; and 3) juice the apples witha steam juicer. I don't own an apple crusher or press. I'd appreciate any input on the results anyone hasobtained using these methods or some other method. Is there a significant difference in quality between the various methods?

I have only made wine and cider from pressed apples since that's what I have. I get 2.5 to 3 gallons per bushel. If I steamed I might get more, but since I have plenty of apples in the fall I don't mind. Works great for me. Others will chime in with their method soon.

I use a steamer, it works fine, but a bit slow....We make sparkling wine with the juice...it turns out great......

I would love to have an apple press...someday!

Thanks for the input. Has anyone tried using a juicer for raw vegetable and fruit juices to juice apples? I have an Omega juicer I use to make juice drinks. I am thinking about juicing apples to make a gallon of apple juice and adjusting the must with sugar.

The only problem I see with it is you don't want the stems and seeds ground up in it. If you split the apples up and take the cores out it should work OK otherwise it will pick up a bitter flavor from the Anthocyanin in the seeds. It wouldn't hurt to try at least a glassful and see how it tastes.

I remove the core of the apples before juicing them, so I shouldn't have a problem. I'll give the Omega juicer a try on one gallon and report back on the results.

I have made a batch by pressing them, and I have steamed them before. I prefer the steamer just because it is so easy to clean up. It does take a little longer, but my press is home made and takes quite a while. jh

So dfwwino, how did the juicer work out? I'm very interested as I was thinking of trying a 100% granny smith wine and all I have is a juicer also. I plan on getting a press sooner or later but for now the budget is to tight.

Pete

Pete,

I am still waiting for the apples to ripen. It will be late July or early August before I pick the apples and give the Omega Juicera try. Like you, I don't have the extra cash to get a press right now. I'll update this post once I juice the apples.Last summer, I had a celery stalk that I needed to use so I juiced the entire stalk with the Omega Juicer and made celery wine. It cleared incredibly well without any fining, it has a nice nose and I'm getting ready to bottle it. Edited by: dfwwino

Be sure to PM me to let me know as I lose track of posts pretty quickly. My biggest concern is pulp, but come to think of it, it can't be any worse that the organic juice I've always used in my apple wine.

Pete

I am working on a batch now using chopped apples in a straining bag. I cored all the apples and used a mincer to chop them up. Everything worked really well and was quite simple to do. Fefinitly curious as to how the juicer works out. please continue to post.

I used the Omega Juicer to juice over 3 gallons of juice. It did a very good job, but took a couple of hours to juice a couple of five-gallon pails of apples. The sediment dropped following fermentation along with the yeast

Latest posts

Back