Apple Wine Explosion.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musirio

Reaction score
Hey all,

Third year making some apple wine.

S.g 1090
100 pounds

Cortland
Sunrise
Russett

Fermented in a 200 litre food-grade plastic bucket.

Crushed fruit.

71b-1122 Yeast

Go-ferm - rehydration
Fermaid
Pectic Enzyme

Water until 100 litre mark achieved.

I was just making my wine as I normally do - but this year I had purchased this big new 200 litre jug.

As the jug was too heavy to elevate I had to scoop out the pieces of apples and skins in order to press.

This caused a lot of splashing, swishing, dumping which, if my theory is correct supercharged the fermentation.

Fermentation had slowed - was at 1040.

Transferred to 3 carboys.

Came back after a weekend only to be witness of the Aftermath of an Applewine Nuclear Explosion that had taken place in my basement.

I've had many blow-overs but none compare.

I have 20 carboys in total - all of them were covered.

Three air-locks launched out and all left marks on the ceiling along with Apple Wine Smeared on the ceiling and adjoining wall.

Took me 2 days to clean!

Never saw anything like it!

Wish I could've witnessed.

What to you guys think ?

- Dan

It's happened to most of us....

You transferred to carboy too soon.
1.040 is WAY early

1.010 would have been much better/calmer and less sticky

In my limited experience, apple referments. It will not be denied. That being said, I'd (primary) ferment to dry at .990 which tends to be pretty "crisp." If you back sweeten then bottle, I'd drink early and with some regularity to assess for drying and carbonation, two signs of refermentation.

Next year try to use a grinder and press your apples preferment so you can start with fresh pressed cider. Or perhaps do a some with fresh pressed so you can compare the two.

Back