Apple trees I ended up buying

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cburke

Junior
Reaction score
Started a thread a few weeks back looking for some advice on what type of trees I should plant. Thought I would give an update.

First off, let me say that Cummins Nursery was a great help. Tino was quick to get back to me and gave me some good things to think about.

So, taking into consideration area, climate (Just inland from the New Hampshire coast), soil, biennial bearing, pollination and disease resistance, this is what I ended up with...

2 goldrush dwarfs
2 Roxbury Russet dwars
2 Liberty Dwarfs
1 Hyslop Crab semi-dwarf
and a 5-in-1 tree (yellow transparent, gravenstein, macintosh, winesap and golden delicious) which I had bought on an impulse around X-mas, but should add some variety with pollination.

Should give a good mix of eating and particularly cider. Went with mainly dwarfs so that they will be ready sooner and if there any off years, several of the others should have their "on" year. Also, as mentioned by another poster, much easier to prune.

From what I can tell, everything should be well pollinated and have enough sun. Might have room for one more (already using more space then I planned, but I think that it how it normally goes with these things), but will have to wait a few months and pay attention to some shadows from my neighbors property.

Thank you for all the prior responses.

Wow, great buy! I'm jealous you have room for that many trees.

My friend has been going on about these 5 in one type trees - does it really work? I've been somewhat skeptical. She wants to get a couple for her cabin.

Tino if the man, I think he has helped a couple thousand people. So your Goldrush blooms late, the Liberty Early, does the hyslop overlap for both early and late? Some sites say the Roxbury is a Triploid so you wont get pollen from it for other trees, if you dont spray your 5 in one tree has disease susceptible varieties on it. Goldrush is listed in some places as susceptible to cedar apple rust, we get that here bad but planted some anyway after tasting some from a nearby orchard, it would be worth the trouble of spraying them with surround to keep the rust off of them. You might want to get like a Dolgo crab which is early bloomer, and maybe a Grimes Golden which is also a good apple and bloomes later to match up with the Goldrush. When you make your first batch of cider from your own trees its very much the best cider in the world :) WVMJ

The hyslop is an early/mid blooming. Will help with the Liberty and maybe the goldrush. The goldrush will also be pollinated by the golden delicious and possibly the macintosh, which is a mid bloom, from the 5-in-1 tree. The roxbury should be supported by the goldrush, golden delicious, and the hyslop, and macintosh to some degree. If I have room I might try to find one more late bloomer.

I tried to cover my bases, I think I got everything fine.

Awsome planning! We really like those Goldrushes, a little bit much acid for a cider on their own but what a great taste. Happy Planting! WVMJ

Back