Apple help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron22

Reaction score
So I started my first batch of wine.
I started with 1 gallon of Apple Juice with no Preservative. Added sugar until a SG of 1.085 placed one 4in stick of cinnamon used Red Star Montrachet yeast.
Moved to secondary at about 1.04 and placed an airlock removed cinnamon stick.
It is now at about .995 so I racked it into a new 1 gallon. I had to add a little water to make up the difference. Added 1 crushed campden tablet and place an airlock
Wife and I tasted it, my wife comment "not bad" but there is a "yeast" smell. There was no real cinnamon taste or smell.
So my questions are will the "yeast" smell go away with aging?
Since there was no noticable cinnamon smell or tast could I add another one now?
Anything else I did wrong?

So I started my first batch of wine.
I started with 1 gallon of Apple Juice with no Preservative. Added sugar until a SG of 1.085 placed one 4in stick of cinnamon used Red Star Montrachet yeast.
Moved to secondary at about 1.04 and placed an airlock removed cinnamon stick.
It is now at about .995 so I racked it into a new 1 gallon. I had to add a little water to make up the difference. Added 1 crushed campden tablet and place an airlock
Wife and I tasted it, my wife comment "not bad" but there is a "yeast" smell. There was no real cinnamon taste or smell.
So my questions are will the "yeast" smell go away with aging?
Since there was no noticable cinnamon smell or tast could I add another one now?
Anything else I did wrong?

The yeast smell should go away and yes add another cinnamon stick and leave it in for about 6 weeks. Apple should sit about a year for the taste to really be great and the cinnamon to come out.

I just bottled my apple spice - it was 6 months old. Tasted very good. I only did a one gallon batch - but i added 3 cinnamon sticks during the primary - the smell and taste came through great.

Latest posts

Back