Apple Cider/Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyPhil

Reaction score
I bought a gallon of unfiltered apple cider, can this be made into wine, It has been pasturized so I know I may get a peptic haze at the end. Does this haze affect the taste of the wine? Also what would be a good recipe to use for this, it contains:

NO preservatives
NO Filtering
NO Sugar, so in essence it is ground apples.

In January 10, 2011 I started a 5 gal batch. Adjust it for your 1 gal by dividing by 5 except for the yeast, use 1 pk.
5 gal. sweet apple juice.
4 camp. tablets.
5 tsp. yeast nutrient
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme {dry}
2 tsp tannin
2 1/2 tsp yeast energizer
added the pectic 12 hrs after the campden tabs.
brought it up to 1.094 s.g.
was at 1.050, added 5 lb sugar and brought it to 1.094
Pitched yeast, used coats de blanc.
Added 10 cloves and 4 cinnamon sticks
First rack to secondary was Jan. 26
It has cleared now, added 1/2 gal. of old orchard juice after sulfiting and sorbating.
Needs to have a little sugar added. Going to add that shortly, then let sit for a while and bottle.
Probably had a couple more rackings along the way. Would have to go down and check when or if i did them. I use a 2" wide piece of masking tape on the bottle and keep the basement records on it. I also have a problem getting the last steps written down as the tapes seem to get lost. Anyway after the addition of the old orchard apple juice it seems to have plenty of flavor. It also helped dilute the alcohol taste a little. Some more aging and this will be some pretty good stuff methinks. Good luck with yours, Arne.

Latest posts

Back