Anything special worth doing on Whites?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fermented two 10 gallon batches (chard and pinot gris) last spring in my wine room, ambient temp 55, liquid temp also 55. Must temp never got up above ambient temps on my ferments. Took almost a month, but the results were very good.

Interesting, I used QA23 and Rhone 4600 and with both I had to lower the temp in the freezer to maintain the ~60 liquid temp. It did take quite a while to finish though. Could have been a long as 6 weeks to finish in the carboy.

Interesting, I used QA23 and Rhone 4600 and with both I had to lower the temp in the freezer to maintain the ~60 liquid temp. It did take quite a while to finish though. Could have been a long as 6 weeks to finish in the carboy.

I used ICV-D47 for the pg and CY-3079 for the chard. The juice was thawed and put straight into carboys and under airlock for AF. Did 10 gallons of each, so there was 5 gallons in each 6 gallon carboy during AF. Fermentation was slow and steady with no real spikes in activity.
PG racked and cleared at completion, chard came out to room temps at completion for MLF and lees stirring, went back into 55 at MLF completion for more lees aging.

Back