Anyone want to buy some snow?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan and Wade,
You've got about 62 and 54 amps of power respectively. That's plenty of amperage to run what you're using.

Im guessing you are an electrician? Im not super familiar with what can be run all at once, luckily mine has a am gauge on it that I can monitor when Im using it to see when Im trying to push it too far and it also has auto idle so it runs harder when needed and slows way down when no load is being put on it.

You've got a nice generator. The gauge on it can really come in handy. IMO you can't beat a Honda motor. The auto idle feature is nice too. It saves fuel. If you stay conservative, you can run your pump, furnace, fridges (and they don't run all the time), and a few lighting circuits and should have no problems. You'll also know if you're running too much as the motor will probably start to bog down. I'm guessing your dryer is on a 240 volt, 30 amp circuit. Like you said, just shut a couple of things down when it's running. How many circuits are on your transfer switch? Just curious.

I have the 10 switch Emergen switch. I had to look at it again and it too also has gauges on it for amps, one for each side of the circuit board. 4 of the switches are linked together for 2 220 circuits. One is the water pump and the other is the oven. To use the dryer I have to plug that directly into the generator. That is also where Id have to plug in my brewing system if I ever needed an emergency batch of beer as my brewing system is also 220. :)

Mine is the basically the same as Wades. I only need 220 for the well pump. I did not connect my AC to it and the dryer and range are natural gas. This left me with 8 circuits to play with.

I forgot I switched from a good size 110 Ac unit to a huge 220 ac unit so now we have to eithee go in a few rooms or go in the basement where the older big 110 unit went.

Depending on your type of oven, you could be pulling up to 50 amps. Even though your water pumps are 220v, they're probably only pulling 15 or 20 amps. It really doesn't matter how big your generator or transfer switch is, it's a matter of managing what's running at the same time. Most of the devices that you have only run intermittently. In the unlikely case that every one of them started at the same time, you might have a temporary problem.

Not too awfully big with the disposal. Just a quick start-up. However, many microwaves are rated at around 1000 watts. That's a little over 8 amps. The initial start-up on a refrigerator or freezer pulls a lot, but once they're started it's not too bad.
FWIW Watts / volts = amps

Most generators are rated lower then what they are good for and some can take almost 1000 watts over what they are rated for for brief periods to accomaodate for these power surges.

Right, that's why Dan's is rated at 8750 for startup and 7500 running.

Latest posts

Back