WineXpert Any thoughts on the new WE World Vineyard Grape Skin kits??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USA_WineMaker

Wine Maker Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I just saw that WE is offering grape skins in three of their world vineyard kits. Any thoughts on skins in less expensive kits? I can't see why they would offer these when the Selection kits are slightly higher. I mean, why buy the WV kits when for another $25 or so you can get the Selection kits which have more juice.

I just saw that WE is offering grape skins in three of their world vineyard kits. Any thoughts on skins in less expensive kits? I can't see why they would offer these when the Selection kits are slightly higher. I mean, why buy the WV kits when for another $25 or so you can get the Selection kits which have more juice.

Well Todd:

I think that is a very valid and exceptional question. I took some time to look at the offering and there isn't really too much available right now as I guess it is, as you stated, a new product. I googled "world vineyard grape skins wine kit" and this is what came up - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=world+vineyard+grape+skins+wine+kit

Not really a whole lot of information right now but I looked at the product and it appears to be quite interesting since it is an affordable grape skin kit. I don't know but perhaps others can chime in and shed some light.

I do find myself agreeing with you since you can buy a much better kit for and additional $25. However, to some that $25 is a large step-up in a kit so perhaps after all their marketing research, they discovered that this will perhaps fill a void in lower end kits. I guess we will have to wait and see.

While I haven't been much help I hope that this dialogue has added to the discussion.

The Winexpert site has more information on the 3 new kits that will have skins:

http://www.winexpert.com/read/news?articleid=694

My guess would be that the mid-tier/lower-tier kits tend to have higher sales, and this would further appeal to people who probably would not buy a high end kit in the end. These kits would take less time to develop, too, compared to a higher-tier kit. I suspect a large number of wine kit makers have no real intention of bulk aging their wine for up to 2-3 years. In fact, it would be interesting to know just how much wine never makes it beyond a few months of age.

Also, for what it's worth, these are all varietals or blends that are not available in the SI grape skin kits or the Eclipse line.

The concept isn't new, since the CC Sterling and the RJS Grand Cru International are using similar concepts. I love the idea of the GSM blend and may have to try that one. I have made several of the competing kits and found the flavor and body to be very nice. My complaint was that when paired with food, the wine disappeared. I'm thinking a tannin tweak would be in order with these. Gonna have to try one or two.

The price of these kits is much more likely to get me into making WE kits. I don't like that to get a kit with a grape pack I have to spend near 200 dollars. For that price, I may as well buy commercial wine. Good to see this sort of thing offered nearer my price range; means I am likely to try it.

The price of these kits is much more likely to get me into making WE kits. I don't like that to get a kit with a grape pack I have to spend near 200 dollars. For that price, I may as well buy commercial wine. Good to see this sort of thing offered nearer my price range; means I am likely to try it.

$200! Where are you purchasing from. I buy grape skin kits for $100 to a max of $130 or so. You best check your pricing or homebrew store for more competitive pricing.

$149 is higher but still respectable for that kit. The Florida outfit had them on sale last week for like $110/$120 each. What a deal. Are you handling the WV grape skin kits and if so what is your price? I'm thinking about trying a few. :sm

$149 is higher but still respectable for that kit. The Florida outfit had them on sale last week for like $110/$120 each. What a deal. Are you handling the WV grape skin kits and if so what is your price? I'm thinking about trying a few. :sm

Will be getting them on the next order, they should run around $94.99.
Just got in some of the Selection with skins the other day and those run $129.99.

Last edited:

Be sure to check the total price including shipping. I am not sure which florida outfit you are talking about, but the one I know with good prices like that charges close to $40 for shipping, whereas other sites with higher prices offer $10 shipping.

Be sure to check the total price including shipping. I am not sure which florida outfit you are talking about, but the one I know with good prices like that charges close to $40 for shipping, whereas other sites with higher prices offer $10 shipping.

Of course they charge you $40 because you're in MO and they are in FL. Shipping costs is by weight and distance. The shipping price is meaningless; just look at the bottom-line cost to you. However, it makes me wonder if one place with low pricing can sell it that low then why do the other guys charge high prices? I mean, if I could actually ship a 40 or 50 lb box across the country for $10, I would charge the low price, plus the $10 shipping and put everyone else out-of-business. $10 shipping is bogus IMHO of course. :)

Don't need the snark and condescension - I was just trying to be helpful. Of course, it is all about the "bottom-line cost to you" as that was my point.

Todd,
I saw those prices also for $99.95 but then bought from another vendor which with shipping included ended up cheaper for me, obviously shipping from FL to CT would be higher than from OH to CT.

Yep, the shipping company does well on these kits. I like the grape skin kits very much. It's great for me when I live in Florida for the winters as I get the best of both worlds, cheap kits and cheap shipping. :)

Latest posts

Back