WineXpert Any Advice above the instructions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a Lodi Ranch 11 Cab Sauv - Estate Series and was wondering if anyone has made this and/or has any "out of the box" advice on it??? All of the kits we have made in the past were exactly to the directions, and this being the most $$ we have spent on a kit I wanted to get the best out of it!

Once the wine is safely in a carboy and under air-lock, take longer than the instructions call for. Do not be in a hurry to perform the next step.

Steve

I put the skins in a mesh bag rather than using the supplied siphon filters. I think others have done that as well, but some say the floating skins are better than bagged skins. My WE SE Sonoma Cab was better than excellent, so I can't say it would be any better with "free-floating" skins. Racking was very easy with them in a bag.

I would let it age an extra three months before bottling.
Does that go for all Estate wine kits?
I have the Austrailan shiraz kit.

I would let it age an extra three months before bottling.
Does that go for all Estate wine kits?
I have the Austrailan shiraz kit.

It never hurts to let any wine sit longer in the carboy. Make sure you sulphite properly and take you time bottling. If its a big red kit you could leave it in the carboy for a year. The results will be rewarding! Again, ensure you properly sulphite every three months.

Once the wine is safely in a carboy and under air-lock, take longer than the instructions call for. Do not be in a hurry to perform the next step.

Steve

I think the next step is to wait for the SG to get stable, then stabilize & fining. And if it comes with Süsse-Reserve to add that.....I did not even look yet to see if it has that option or not????

There are not any additions or skins with this kit, I just bottled this 3 months ago.

My plan is to drink one bottle every 3 months just so I can observe the aging and how it changes, so we opened our first bottle night before last. First impressions are that this is a very full bodied wine, complex flavors, and certainly needs a lot more time as it was still harsh and rough tannins (as expected at only 3 months). I would have been disappointed if it was smooth at this stage actually.

I have really high hopes for this one.

I think the next step is to wait for the SG to get stable, then stabilize & fining. And if it comes with Süsse-Reserve to add that.....I did not even look yet to see if it has that option or not????
Reds don't have a Suss Reserve pack.

A tip to everyone...empty the box before you start the kit. Inventory the goodies. Then you will know if anything is missing, or unlabelled (esp RJS kits). And you will find the oak or grape skins that are sometimes hidden under the big bag of juice/concentrate.

Steve

JD,
Does the wine have the pepperish finish to it???? That is one of the reasons I wanted to try it!!!

cpfan,
it really is hard to tell what should be in the box as the WE instructions are made for different combinations.

JD,
cpfan,
it really is hard to tell what should be in the box as the WE instructions are made for different combinations.
True, but if you were expecting a Suss Reserve or grape skins, then you would know if they weren't there. If you have no idea what to expect in the kit, then an inventory is still good.

Steve

Latest posts

Back