Any Additives / Preservatives In Sugar Crystals?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b333

Junior
Reaction score
Since I started using sugar from a large sugar purchase, my fermentations have been getting stuck -- no matter what adjustments I make. Had done many strong / dry batches before this.
Anyone ever come across an additive / preservative in sugar crystals that is harmful to yeast?
Thanks

Since I started using sugar from a large sugar purchase, my fermentations have been getting stuck -- no matter what adjustments I make. Had done many strong / dry batches before this.
Anyone ever come across an additive / preservative in sugar crystals that is harmful to yeast?
Thanks

There's nothing harmful to yeast in sugar, except adding too much of it. Make sure that the starting specific gravity of your must won't yield an ABV % that is higher than your yeast can handle. For instance, if you start with a must at SG 1.130, that has the potential to produce 18.5% alcohol by volume. If your yeast can only handle 16%, then it dies before all of the sugar is gone.

Another concern is yeast nutrients, feeding your yeast. If they run out of nutrients, the fermentation can stall before all of the sugar has been consumed.

Can you give some examples of your beginning SG and yeast strains and your nutrient protocol in a wine that the fermentation got stuck on? That might help narrow down your issue.

Thanks for the reply. I'd studied up on stuck fermentation causes and tried to account for all possibilities. Even starting out with as low as 7% sugar -- added by weight and verified with a refractometer. Using EC-1118 which has been very reliable in the past.
When making strong wines, I always step in the sugar -- do not add all at the start.
But lately -- with this batch of sugar -- have not even gotten out of the first step.
Just a weak sugary wine.
Anyone hear of any such additives / preservatives in sugar crystals?

It may be that you have some very pure sugar and lacks MOS (Matter Other than Sugar, a little winemaker humor) that has been fueling your other ferments. I bet that if you use goferm and ferm K, to make your 1118 happy, you would have better results.

Ken

Back