Another New Guy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OilnH2O

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... I've decided to go from wine consumer to producer and just received two big boxes from FedEx, so George, if you're reading this, the shipment arrived! And thanks again, for your quick answers to my questions.

And, I 'replied' to the 'newbie' post, not realizing I had to post a "new topic"... so, I guess you already know I can make mistakes!

I'm in Missoula, Montana, and my son and I look forward to getting our first batch going -- thanks in advance to all those who have passed on the tips in the forum -- it is an education just reading them (and, helped a bunch in making my first order). Thanks!

Welcome, OilnH2O!

Glad to have you aboard. Feel free to ask any question - we've all been newbies, so we know how it feels.

Take a look at the How-To section for most common areas of "how the heck do you....?"
smiley36.gif

Welcome again, good to have you here!

Martina

Welcome OilnH2O,

Glad to have aboard the forum and you will find this a very rewarding hobby or should I say obsession for many of us!

WelcomeOilnH20.....Did George mention that all newbies now are required to sendtwo bottles of each batch of their new wines to me for evaluation.I much prefer they be shipped Next Day Air so as not to take a chance on the shipping tainting the character of the wines.

Welcome OilnH2O,

Hope you this forum as enjoyable as I do. Good luck with your wine.

Pat

OilnH2O, Welcome!

Pay no attention the the Waldo in the corner!
smiley2.gif
I'm in charge of wine evaluations, not him!
smiley36.gif
We're always glad to see a new face and look forward to getting to know you. We're actually like a big family, spread all over the globe. Relatives all over the place!

What will your first wine be?

Let's see....two bottles to Arkansas (do they have "next day air" to Arkansas?) but since it's already "tomorrow in Australia" asWaldo always ends his posts, he should have received my two bottles yesterday! Then.... another to Minnesota... hmmm... I think this is like a snipe hunt I was once on....

Oh -- Bourgeron Rouge -- wanted something quick that wouldn't take two years to find out if we'd messed up!

Thanks all -- I look forward to learning from each of you!

From one newbie to another,3 words to live by.

CLEAN AND SANITIZE.

If you have any questions please ask me and I will promptly defer them to someone who knows better
smiley36.gif

earl

I am on kit # 2, on my first kit, a Beaujalis (I never spell it right) I think I may have some cleanliness issues. I bottled it about 2 weeks ago, of course I also had some sediment issues, and am currently letting it age a little. I have had 2 bottles of it and it needs to calm down a bit for it to be enjoyable. I won't touch another one for at least a month.

I just de-gassed my 2nd kit tonight. A green apple reisling. This one seems to be going better than my first one.All being equal this has been a blast. It is amazing how much experienceyou will get doing your first kit. I will order another kit in a couple of weeks, right after I try my hand at a hard apple cider.

earl

Earl makes a vital point. Cleaning and sanitizing is the #1 priority in winemaking. There are products like "OneStep" that does the trick without rinsing. Check out the FVW catalog for all your winemaking needs.

OilnH2O said:
Oh -- Bourgeron Rouge -- wanted something quick that wouldn't take two years to find out if we'd messed up!

Thanks all -- I look forward to learning from each of you!

One of my favorites as well and welcome aboard. And Waldo stole my line
smiley36.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

OilnH2O
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Hello, we are almost neighbors. My baby is in Missoula, a freshman at the U. Good luck to you and your son with your new kits. I will be starting my first kit this weekend.

Greetings OilnH20,

Welcome to the forum!!! I can't think of a better hobby for anyone but especially all you northerners!! Something to get you through the long winter days when there isn't much to do outside!!

You will have wine in your blood no matter what the season!!!

Ramona

Well hi to BMW -- my son sent you a note on the other forum -- he's a freshman at LSH.

And, because we "northerners" in Montana seem to quickly be a new "terroir" -- we're learning new things... or maybe experiencing new challenges.

We (my son and I) put our batch in our furnace room -- the warmest area. After following the directions and cleaning and sanitizing EVERY little thing including the -- literally -- the kitchen sink (and counter) we took our first reading and found it to be 64 degrees F. -- when the directions said "make sure it's between 65-85"! Of course, by then, it was all made!The first thing I realized was there were NO directions for what to do if it was BELOW temp!

So, into the 71 degree furnace room to warm up,but now, as the evening thermostat drops to 62, we found the furnace room has already dropped to 66F! Soooo...we now have the bucket/fermenter sitting on a heating pad, turned on low. It's keeping the wine temp (from the floating thermometer) at 68F now...and I'll check it in the middle of the night. I haven't seen anything in these forums about heating pads yet! NO, I won't let it get too high -- my big concern is the first 24-48 hours to get the process chugging along.

One of the folks on the forum called the fermenter their "baby" and said it was about the same as the real ones --I now see whatthey mean -- and agree!

OilnH2O,

Use of a heating pad is done by many wine makers and you should be fine with the temp at 68. One thing to remember is that a active fermentation is exothermic and will create heat so don't get too concerned when this happens.

I don't know how much heat is actually generated in 6 gals but I assume it would be less that 5 degrees.

Good Job!!
smiley32.gif

OilnH2O

For me I'm learning new things and experiencing new challenges, the temperature could be a big challenge here. I also have my first batch started in the furnace room. I hope the temperature changes at night don't get too cold in this house. If I don't see some action in the next day or two I will try your trick with a heating pad or turn the thermostat up at night. I'll keep you posted on how mine is doing.

Even with the cold weather I love Montana in the winter, my husband and I went snowmobiling yesterday, we have great snow over here. In the Big Hole it is over the tops of the fences, better than it has been in a long time.

Latest posts

Back