ANOTHER CHOKECHERRY WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, here goes my ignorance, but what's a choke cherry? Maybe I should google it.

Chokecherries...aka...Wild Black Cherries....grow in clusters on bushes and trees....They are purple/black when ripe and very astringent and have a rather large pit for the size of the fruit....They make an awesome dry red wine....tho other folks make sweet dessert wines and port style wines with them.

Google Chokecherries and you will get all sorts of information.

Thanks NW. I did google it. Sounds great. Looks like they grow mainly up north. Maybe someday I'll venture into fruit wines. Thanks for the pics. They look great.

KenEdited by: K&GB

This what we call choke cherry here.
100_1104.jpg

I made a gallon this fall. It's is resting in bottles right now.

Here are some ChokeCherries....
Fresh from the freezer, put a little sugar on them to aid in extraction....

steamingSmall.jpg

Steam Juicing 21.75# for another batch of wine.

A good day to be indoors with the stove going...will mix up the must tomorrow....Edited by: Northern Winos

Looks good NW, for my first try at these this summer it came out pretty good. Definitely have to pick more this year.

Ahhh!!!!! Yes!!!!.....The Montrachet is fizzing away. This yeast always makes a fizzy noise...Sounds like the wind rustling leaves on the trees....Smells great already.

This wine really fermented fast...

A couple days ago I lifted the lid and heat came out...moved it to a cooler location...

That Red Star Montrachet yeast really heated up.

S.G. today was 1.016....racked to a carboy.

Bottled the Neighborhood Chokecherry wine today...It is as good as ever...

NCHCHSmall.jpg

Will start another batch in the near future as it is the most requested wine around here....

Meanwhile will mix up some other batches...can't have an empty carboy sitting around.

I'd shore like ta put me a lip lock around one of them there bottles NW

Looks really good. Will have to pick chokecherries this year and try that.

Latest posts

Back