Amarone With a Starting SG of 1100!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I was able to pick up the last pail of Amarone at my LHBS.
I was surprised to see the Amarone have a starting SG of 1100, wheeew that juice was sweet!

I cannot wait to taste the final product!

You know it rocky!....unfortunately...my kids are of age and appreciate a glass of wine with us...lol
As an Italian, I grew up having a little wine with dinner.
When I was in my early teens, my father decided that he wanted to show us how he grew up in Italy, and moved the family there. I lived in Tuscany, Livorno, Pisa, The Island of Elba, what a tremendous experience, I lived in Italy for 6 years before returning to the USA.

Pumpkinman, I love traveling to Italy, been there a few times with the wife. Also my kids are of drinking age also. They enjoy the wines I make and they will help me bottle if I give them bottles to take home. Lol !

JohnT, we are out of town at present. I will post "Bev's Magic Manicotti" recipe when I get back to Ohio.

Pumpkinman, what a great opportunity you had living in Tuscany. We were there in '08 for a month (we stayed in Castelmuzio near Pienza in southern Tuscany) and we loved it. Plan to return in '13. If I ever hit the lottery, I have an abandoned property already picked out near Pienza. Probably would cost about $400K and I would need about $400K more to restore it but I would do it in a heartbeat.

Rocky, if you need a translator..or wine bottle opener...when you hit lotto...I'm that guy...LOL!

La ringrazio, Pumpkinman. Dobbiamo parlare, leggere e comprendere la lingua Italiana abbastanza bene. A Castelmuzio, poche persone parlavano l'inglese. Come potete vedere, non scrivere troppo bene!

E' da un po di tempo che parlo L'Italiano, e' veramente una lingua bella, quasi come una canzone. Ogni tanto in tanto, parlo L'Italiano con le mie sorelle, ma non ti peroccupare, lo scrivi perfetto.
Mi manca L'Italia, e' una vita molto diverso da qui in America, specialmente in compagna, la vita e' piu lenta.
Quando stavo in Italia, sono andato alla Scuola Alberghiera, Sul' Isola D'Elba, ho studiato per fare Lo Chef. Ho fatto lo chef in Italia per 3 anni, poi sono tornato a New York.

Tom

Last edited:
Tom, My wife and I both grew up in Italian families but never learned the language (other than the swear words!). Before we went to Italy we did a crash course in Italian, using the internet, CD's, books, etc. and we were able to carry on well enough from the start and by the end of a month we were doing fairly well. In the larger cities, many people speak English, but we would insist on speaking Italian with them. We had some funny moments, though. I remember once when I was going to order ice cream and I did not want multiple flavors like they normally sell.

I said to the girl, "Un gelato, per favore, tutti limone," and she laughed, so I said, "Perche' si ride, Signorina?" She answered, in better English than I can speak, "I am sorry, but I was amused. You asked for all the lemons. I believe what you meant to say was 'solo limone' or 'only lemon.'"

LMAO! When I first moved to Italy, like you, I only knew a few bad words..lol...It was real tough at first for a 12 year old kid. Even Bugs bunny and John Wayne spoke Italian on TV, how hard could it be?!
My first few months of school were horrible, I was a novelty for the kids...and I was put back 3 years at first to try to learn the language...I am big for an American, 6 ft 3, 350 lbs, at 12 I was already 6 ft tall...enormous for an Italian, I stuck out like a sore thumb....just until the English teacher made the fatal mistake of telling me (in broken English) If I make a mistake, please tell me....remember...I was 12..lol...they were taught the queens English, with words like "rubbers" for erasers, and such...the first time I heard that I nearly fell over laughing..."class, grab your rubbers"....mind you...in Italy, you NEVER spoke back to teacher (professore or professoressa), man, the kids thought I was cool....my very strict Sicilian father....not so much...lol.
But I learned Italian, and the Livornese Dialect so well, you couldn't hear my american accent anymore, but not before making so many embarrassing mistakes, I still cringe thinking about them!

Latest posts

Back