Amarone volcano!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAG

Reaction score
Volcano!! I just racked the first time into carboy(4days). I followed instructions to a T! Luckily I sensed much gas, so I set it in our mostly unused shower. Wow, 20 minutes later I checked on it and it was foaming thru the double bubble. Glad I put it in the shower. Is this normal?? What happened??

Sounds like fermentation was too active for the amount of room it was given... Can happen if you rack a bit too early... Lucky for your forward-thinking, you dont have a mess but the level of the carboy might be a bit lower in the end

If its only been fermenting for 4 days, im gonna guess you're way early - unless you've had warm temps & the ferment has progressed faster than anticipated... I would check the SG and maybe rack back to an open container if the SG is much above 1.020 (temp depending)

Don't know if this was a Mosti kit but they have you add yeast nutrient at the time of the first racking which can then lead to a volcano when you rack - one trick I learned here was to rack a liter or so into a separate container, then rack the rest to your big carboy. The yeast activity from the nutrient addition will die down after a while and you can add back the smaller amount you racked separately - I've used this method with success

Yes. This is a Mosti Master All juice kit. SG was right there. I almost cleaned the fermenter real quick so I could dump it back. Seems to be behaving now.

Hey Wayne1. I'm Wayne2(also) lol. Yeh, I called and spoke with Joseph. He reccomended what you said, or really keep it in primary untill SG of 1.010-15. Instead of instructed 1.040-50. I racked mine at 1.032. Next time I will wait gor 1.015 or so. They are always very helpful at Dallas Home brew/FVW.

Yeah, Ive stressed this point many times that those instructions are stupid! I ferment all my wines to dry in primary and am much happier for foing so since I started.

Yeah, Ive stressed this point many times that those instructions are stupid! I ferment all my wines to dry in primary and am much happier for foing so since I started.

Same here Wade. The notion of moving a wine off the yeast cake before it's dry is just wrong to me. Also, if you put some oak and/or grape skins in the primary, you'll want a little more contact time in most cases.

My typical schedule is 2-3 weeks in primary (SG usually ~0.995) then 3-5 weeks in secondary. If it's really clear and the flavor is right I'll bottle it, otherwise it goes to bulk aging.

I know now. This is my first Mosti kit. Live, learn, improve.

Latest posts

Back