Mosti Mondiale Alternate Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ras1

Junior
Reaction score
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Does anyone swap out the stock yeast on their Mosti Mondiale kits?

Some of the Italians seem to be well suited for BM45 or maybe BDX.

Clearly some TLC would be necessary for reliable results such as using GoFerm and FermAid-K along with proper temperature control and oxygen levels.

ras, I wondered the same thing. Shhh don't tell anyone, but I used different yeast on my CC Old Vines Zin last summer.Divided it into three batches and pitched three different yeasts. Then blended them back together during secondary.Don't have my notes with me just now, so I can'tremember the three I chose. Seems likeIDV-80, D-47, and something else.I'm not such a connoisseur that I can tell any difference, but the smell during primary fermentation was distinctively different for each batch and I think the D-47 went faster than the others. Anyway, it was a fun experiment. I bottled the wine around Christmas after six months bulk aging.It was really tasting good at bottling, so I guess it turned out ok. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Before I tried my unorthodox experiment, I queried the forum and most responses advised against tinkering with a kit wine. Breaks the warranty and all. I also called the CC contact line and spoke to a rep who also advised against it, but for a different reason. She said EC-1118 doesn't alter the flavor profile of the wine like some other yeasts do. Well, that's exactly what I was trying to do. I wanted to use a yeast that was known to actually enhance Zin.

I think most kits use Lalvin EC-1118 because it's reliable and forgiving. As you mentioned some strains require special care that home winemakers might not be aware of. Anyway, just my two cents.

Ken

I am doingthe 2009 Amarone Mondiale Limited with red raisins using BM45 yeast now.

I am just finishing up Primary and the SG is at .996

The fermentation was very healthy, I used my standard approach of beginning at 75, dropping down to 65 for the main fermentation, then bringing it back up to 78 for the last 2 days.

I did use GoFerm and Fermaid-K.

As Ken mentioned, my goal is to add enhanced varietal character and not use a neutral yeast such as EC1118.

I also did not use the saw dust and chips but instead have 2 Stavin Barrel Replacements (Staves) one is Hungarian and one is French. I will bulk age on that oak for 6 months.

I would be interested in doing a Gift Trade with somebody who did this kit by the book to see what these changes did.

ras, I should have checked my notes before my post above. Got it all wrong.
smiley5.gif
Here's what really happened.

I divided my CC Zin into two batches. 1st batch (with half the grape pack) fermented with D254 and D21 yeast. 2nd batch (other half of grape pack) D80 and D21 yeast. 1st batch fermented 1 day faster. Both batches smelled great but different, and much different than reds I'd done before with EC-1118.

Since this experiment I've learned that a single yeast strain normally gains dominance over any others present during fermentation. For future reference, what I should have done, if I was going to use 3 different yeast strains, was ferment three batches separately all the way through and then blend later during bulk aging. Lesson learned there. I chose those three strains based on research that suggestedeach would enhance varietal charateristics in different ways. But the same reference material recommended blending post fermentation, vice during. Now I understand why.

My only suggestion is to play with wines other than the Meglioli's. The quality of those wines is superb and I personally would not tinker with them. If you want to tinker try a lesser quality wine kit, then apply what you learn to a Meglioli. They really don't need any help.

geocorn said:
My only suggestion is to play with wines other than the Meglioli's. The quality of those wines is superb and I personally would not tinker with them. If you want to tinker try a lesser quality wine kit, then apply what you learn to a Meglioli. They really don't need any help.

Thanks for the feedback.

It will be interesting to see how it compares to a by-the-book Meglioli.

Ras1,

I've been experimenting for a bit with alternate yeast strain innoculation with half a dozen Mosti AllJuice kits so far and there has been a marked difference in the nose of the wines (past first ponderings). Care must be taken to be sure that the yeast is properly nutriented (this varies by strain) as well as the differences in how different yeast lees compact. I cannot provide a final analysis as of yet as the wines have not hit my minimum aging requirements and most have not been oaked as yet as well. Click on the cellar link in my signature for notes in regards to which yeast was used on a particular kit and what results have occured. As always, know that you are taking your kit into your own hands when deviating from the provided instructions.

As a side note to KG&amp;B's post, do note that the combination of more than one yeast at a time that are not 'pre-packaged' together into one yeast can not only cause one yeast to dominate but also can produce negative results due to the competition elements of the battleground that will be created. Keep each yeast in its place and work with the finished product.EC-1118 can finishif it's practically abused and the lees compact well - other yeastshave more 'personality.'

- Jim

Latest posts

Back