All in the name of research

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiccan_Lager

Reaction score
So I never had a Barolo wine (I know I know...bad italian) so I did a quick bing search and apparently this is the king of wines and the wine of kings in italy, quoting the web. SO I was thinking about making a kit on the recommendation of my wine supply guy. SO I was looking at Winexperts exlipe and saw a Barolo.

So, in the name of research, I went out and picked up a bottle: a 2007 Beni Di Batasiolo. If I like this, I will try one more maker, check it's similarities, and if all is good, I will try make the winexpert.

Since I can't wait until I get home this evening to try this, any one have any rating, thoughts and reviews about Barolo, winexpert's barolo or about Beni Di Batasiolo?

I never made a kit before I am a little unsure what to expect.

OH, and one more thing. I was looking at the instructions provided by winexpert and was thinking: if I like how the kit works, would it be a bad idea to apply the same steps to future wines I make? :pee

OK, so that Beni Di Batasiolo was horrible, and at $50 a bottle I was little annoyed and dishearted. It was tasteless, no boddy, no pop, pizzaz...NOTHING! No one inthe family wanted to drink it, so I finished it on principle. BUT, I went out and grabbed another bottle, a $30 bottle of Barolo and I am in love! I wanted to cut my own head off so I can pour ir down my throat faster.

I think I am gonna grab myself an Winexpert Eclipse Barolo and check try some out myself. If it is any bit as good as the bottle I bought, then I may have to start working from home.

Ok, i am a noob here myself, and i haven't tried that wine in particular either. now i don't know how the barolo kit compares price wise to say a merlot, or something more 'common', but I'd suggest making a cheaper/easy kit first, to get down a bit of the technique. then go for the impressive one.
I just helped my husband bottle his first batch in years - i haven't previously made wine before. and even though I SAW HIM READING THE INSTRUCTIONS right before we started bottling, when we got to tidy up the workspace it turned out that we hadn't added the last 2 packets of clarifier. yay. anyhow, on the next batch we will be more diligent.

It's funny how expensive wines are often no better and sometimes worse than cheaper wines. I've heard from people who've bought $100 bottles of wine say that it wasn't any better than a $12 bottle of wine from the liquor store.

I don't think I've ever tried a Barolo, but after reading this I might just have to find one.

i, by no means, am a noob, but i have to agree with froes....better to get a cheaper quality kit to say, get your feet wet....you could buy a cheaper version of the barolo kit BUT i will warn you, the quality of that one might disappoint you compared to the bottle of barolo you enjoyed....if you go that route, just don't be discouraged as normally the higher the quality of the kit, the better the end product....it might turn out you might want to try a different kit altogether to get yourself started and familiar with the processes involved.....you might choose to wait and get a few kits under your belt THEN pull the trigger on the eclipse barolo....i would just hate to see you buy a high end kit for your first try, have it go horribly wrong (which really isn't all that easy to do), get discouraged and be out the money you paid for that quality kit....mind you, this all just my opinion, but i would first do a few of the lesser expensive kits of something else you, or your better half may enjoy drinking, and THEN dive in....welcome to the obssession....hope you enjoy....

Latest posts

Back