All Grapes are In

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCharles

Reaction score
Here in Western North Carolina, we've had rain just about every day this past week. My vineyard friend put the word out Friday that his crop was to come in Saturday, September 25th. That wasn't good news for me as I'd just worked 13 hours and had only 2.5 hrs. of sleep. I was up early to the sound of my alarm and off to the vineyard by 9AM. When I got there, the team of pickers was hard at work. A small group of vitner friends weighed the grapes, crushed and de-stemmed them, and sent them to the primary fermenters. We brought in just over 13,000 pounds of grapes (ouch).

Certainly with all the rain, conditions were not optimal. There's no use complaining and we have to take what nature dishes out. 2011 may not go down as the best crop for this area, but I have enjoyed my new exposure to the art of winemaking.

Here are a few photos from todays activities. Oh, I noticed a butterfly that was attracted to a pile of stems. With the cooler and wet weather, I've not seen a butterfly in over a week. That explains the butterfly pic.

I hope your harvest days are fruitful,

Paul

Sept 25-2011-21-1.jpg

Sept 25-2011-15-1.jpg

Sept 25-2011-26-1.jpg

Sept 25-2011-27-1.jpg

Sept 25-2011-30-1.jpg

Paul i always enjoy your photos thank you.What kind of grapes are they? what kind off numbers?

Grapes look to be in real good condition. What are the harvest numbers?

Grapes are in

Hi all,

Most of the grapes harvest yesterday were cab sauv, with a smaller amount of cab fran. We've had a good bit of rain here last week. The brix was just over 22. I know the owner was worried that the grapes would be overtaken by a mold. I'm sure he slept well knowing all his grapes were tucked away in the fermenter.

I beleive I am correct in saying the total day take of grapes was just over 13,000 pounds.

I don't have chemistry results beyond the brix, but grapes from this field come in at a fairly high pH of around 4. I hope to hear today on the actual results.

I sure slept well, just getting up at 11:00 AM.

I have 12 gallons of the cab sauv in my fermeter. I've adjusted the brix to 24.5 and added yeast. This is my first go with grapes like this. I plan to add yeast nutrient after they show signs of activity, hopefully Monday morning.

Paul

Nice Paul,hope you can get some of that cab.franc to add to your CS.I would have made the same adjustments on the brix good luck.Any ph#s?

Cab franc

Yes Rock, you're right some Cab franc would be nice to blend with. Also, Petit verdot would blend well. I just have CS though. Perhaps I can negotiate the purchase of a few gallons. I may contact a few vineyards to see if they have any grapes left. I'd be glad to fire up another fermenter... ya, I'm bitten by the bug.

No pH yet. Yes, I know pH is important. I do have the benifit of speaking with the orinal vineyard planter and the current vineyard owner. I feel what I've added is fine for now.

See ya,
Paul

Latest posts

Back