Quantcast

Other Alexanders Muscat Concentrate

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

WildSeedGrrrl

Reaction score
Surprise of the day: Muscat is a white wine grape. Well if there are red varieties they didn't throw those into the batch that went into the can I got.

I opened up the 2 cans of this Muscat concentrate and was a little surprised to see the color was a a golden raisin color. I imagined a deep purple...heck I imagined something in the red family, not white. It threw off my plan for the morning, which was to start a fortified wine.

So I have in my living room 4 gallons of muscat at a OG of about 1.088. I decided not to do 5 gallons because I wanted a fuller bodied taste and the reading was going to be low anyway adding water, I didn't have grape juice concentrate on hand and I didn't want to be adding a lot of sugar to reach a decent SG.

WSG

Racer

Future vineyard owner
Reaction score
I know what your talking about with the sg. being low like that. I think you'll be fine starting it out to be a 4 gallon batch. Hope things go well for you and this batch of wine. Do keep all of us informed on how it goes and turns out too.

WildSeedGrrrl

Reaction score
Update: I moved the must from primary to secondary I was able to fill a 3 gallon and half of a 1 gallon. I was concerned about the headspace but the wine wasn't really done fermenting so i'm sure there is a large enough cushion of CO2 that I'm not going to worry about it. I might add some white grape concentrate but this one gallon of muscat will end up with a higher ABV than the 3 gallon. My most immediate concern is the heat. I don't have a fan and the weather is hitting close to 90 today. So far my apartment is at an uncomfortable 76-78 and it should cool down this evening.

How will this elevated temperature effect continued fermentation? Will my wines be ok for a day of high temps?

wSG