Other Alexanders Muscat Concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildSeedGrrrl

Reaction score
Surprise of the day: Muscat is a white wine grape. Well if there are red varieties they didn't throw those into the batch that went into the can I got.

I opened up the 2 cans of this Muscat concentrate and was a little surprised to see the color was a a golden raisin color. I imagined a deep purple...heck I imagined something in the red family, not white. It threw off my plan for the morning, which was to start a fortified wine.

So I have in my living room 4 gallons of muscat at a OG of about 1.088. I decided not to do 5 gallons because I wanted a fuller bodied taste and the reading was going to be low anyway adding water, I didn't have grape juice concentrate on hand and I didn't want to be adding a lot of sugar to reach a decent SG.

WSG

I know what your talking about with the sg. being low like that. I think you'll be fine starting it out to be a 4 gallon batch. Hope things go well for you and this batch of wine. Do keep all of us informed on how it goes and turns out too.

Update: I moved the must from primary to secondary I was able to fill a 3 gallon and half of a 1 gallon. I was concerned about the headspace but the wine wasn't really done fermenting so i'm sure there is a large enough cushion of CO2 that I'm not going to worry about it. I might add some white grape concentrate but this one gallon of muscat will end up with a higher ABV than the 3 gallon. My most immediate concern is the heat. I don't have a fan and the weather is hitting close to 90 today. So far my apartment is at an uncomfortable 76-78 and it should cool down this evening.

How will this elevated temperature effect continued fermentation? Will my wines be ok for a day of high temps?

wSG

Back