WineXpert Alcool % question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
Next week I will bottle my Rj Spagnols Green Apple Gewürztraminer, but the alcohol is only 7 %. This one of my wine for Christmas and I would like tit has a bit more kick. Somebody told me I could add a bottle of vodka just before transferring into bottles to get more alcohol and it would barely affect the taste of the wine. Is that true?? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

That type of 'wine cooler' is not supposed to be very high in alcohol. It is meant to be a light refreshing drink like you would serve poolside in the summer.

I'm not sure about the vodka addition as I 've never done it. Vodka is pretty neutral in taste though but if you use a good vodka, that's an expensive way to increase alcohol (I wouldn't add anything I would not be willing to drink on its own; cheap vodka has a bite to it).

I have made the mist type kits at 5.5 gallons instead of 6 (more for body than alcohol).Then I topped up with a commercial wine. That wasgood.

I have also added sugar to bump up the alcohol. You should allow a bit of aging time if youincrease the alcohol. I added 3 pounds of sugar to a rasp white zin at 6 gal volume to bring the s.g. up to 1.080 (and gave it 3 months aging)and it was good. I don't think it affected the flavor but someone else I know did the same to a different mist type kit and thought it wasn't as good as the same kit made at 5.5 gallons. So it's all personal taste.

I have even heard of people adding 5 pounds of sugar but that was usually to something like a blackberry merlot.I haven't tried it myself.Some say it's good that way and some say it getsa "hot" taste to it.

Thanks for the advice, I think I just going to try it with half of the batchusing half bottle of Vodka.

Latest posts

Back