Alcohol base

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giovannino

Reaction score
This isn't about wine specifically so I hope it's in the correct forum.

Has anyone experience in making a alcohol base for liqueur? Especially those in Ontario.

It seems Everclear is not available in conservative Ontariario and I don't want to use Vodka both because of the taste and well, it would not be feasibly viable - yes I'm gonna try making a Sambuca Nero or an Amaretto.

Thanks for any ideas.

This isn't about wine specifically so I hope it's in the correct forum.

Has anyone experience in making a alcohol base for liqueur? Especially those in Ontario.

It seems Everclear is not available in conservative Ontariario and I don't want to use Vodka both because of the taste and well, it would not be feasibly viable - yes I'm gonna try making a Sambuca Nero or an Amaretto.

Thanks for any ideas.

They probably sell Everclear in Detroit. I am not suggesting that you smuggle it across but in the US it is legal to bring 1 open bottle across the border. You should check the laws in Canada. Also, you mention the "taste" of Vodka, which to me is completely neutral for the unflavored Vodkas. I don't know what you mean by "feasibly viable." I would just get a good commodity grade unflavored Vodka with the highest proof I could find.

Many use "superyeast" available at most LHBS's which produces up to about 20% alcohol base and add flavour essences (liquorquik, etc) to it. Rumour has it that 20% can be adjusted upward!!

Unless you are diluting, haveing a 190% alcohol Sambuca sounds pretty extreme. I would go with a mid grade vodka ( Simrnoff or Skyy etc) for regular proof, or even 100 proof if you want an extra kick, but everclear is not neccessary. Vodka is concidered a "nuteral spirit".

Guys, thanks a lot for taking time to respond.

At our puritanical Liquor Control Board (remember we are STILL children) cheapest 750mL of

Sambuca is CAD 16.00
Amaretto is CAD 19.00
Vodka is CAD 25.00

I don't go shopping in Detroit and when others go, well, they bring stuff for themselves - you know what I mean.

That's why I was thinking of making the alcohol base myself and asking if anyone had any experience.

Thanks for your time.

No harm intended, but the forum cannot legally discuss things like alcohol bases for liqueurs. Wine and beer only, guys and gals. There are elements out there who would love to pull our plug.

Thanks

No harm intended, but the forum cannot legally discuss things like alcohol bases for liqueurs. Wine and beer only, guys and gals. There are elements out there who would love to pull our plug.

Thanks

That's the last thing I want to see so, as the OP, I would like to ask the Admin/Mod to Please close the thread.

Anyone wanting to offer info is always Welcome to PM me.

Latest posts

Back