Airlock Bubbler Problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proksy

Reaction score
I am wondering if this has happened to anyone before and if so what they did...I started a 5 gal batch about a week ago and left on a vacation shortly after fermentation started. I was a bit worried about the wine because when I was putting the recipe together I miscalculated measurements a tad and almost over filled my carboy. Since there was still a little bit of room a the top I decided that it would be OK and I left to float a river and get to relaxing. When I returned I saw that the bubbles from the fermentation and a little of the juice must have pushed up inside the airlock so now the liquid in the airlock is pink because of the juice that got in there. The question is, is this bad? I haven't pulled the airlock off to dump out that water and replace it with a clean one because I don't want to risk contamination or anything but I saw a fruit fly flying around the room where I store the carboy. I killed it and observed carefully to see if any more existed and I didn't see one. I know one of my roommates left some bananas to go bad on top of the freezer in the kitchen while I was gone so I'm guessing it was a scraggler that smelled the sweet smell of my wonderful container of future joy. What should I do with the airlock? Should I replace immediately or is it OK? I haven't dropped a Campden tablet in yet but I have a few. Should I go ahead and drop a campden tablet in the batch? I am a bit worried. Thanks for the advice :D

I've had that happen a number of times when I topped up a little too high. I never thought that much about it. I just installed a clean airlock and went on.

As long as you sulfited your wine when you racked it just clean out the airlock well, and replace it back on the carboy. I usually fill my carboys to the bottom of the knuckle if I can. I leave a little room for expansion when the temp. rises.

I have had wine in my airlock (usually in August). Just clean it out and move on.

I am relieved...I have been reading and people recommend holding off on dropping campden tablets until the initial fermentation has completed so I believe I will as well, how do yall feel about dropping a campden tablet at this stage? I have also read that people drop a little sulfite in their airlocks and even put whiskey or vodka in them as well...hmm may be a whiskey night tonight:se

Use your potassium meta-bisulfate (kmeta) sanitizing solution in your air lock, never just plain water. If no kmeta, use straight vodka.

If wine gets in it again, clean it out and repeat.

Latest posts

Back