Airlock alternatives for aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambassador

Junior
Reaction score
I'm always nervous my airlock will run dry while bulk aging (using vodka in there.) Are there any alternatives to a standard air lock that still allow the wine to respond to changes in pressure without chasing the fluid level all the time? I've seen photos of people using regular balloons over the top of a carboy but I'm worried it might impart a rubbery flavor to the wine.

I use vodka or grain alcohol (151), just check the airlock once a month, i don't trust the dry locks. But YMMV!

I've been using two layers of Saran Wrap Stretched over the opening and held on with several rubber-bands around the carboy neck. However, the longest I bulk age is 3 months. The wrap will slightly but noticeably convex and concave over the opening with broad swings in atmospheric pressure.

If primary and secondary are complete, I just use solid stoppers. I have very little temperature change in the winery so expansion of the headspace isn't an issue. Btw, I use a 10% meta in my air locks. Evaporates slower than alcohol.

I was going to say the same thing. I use K-meta in a sanitizing concentration. I have a quart sprayer bottle I keep it in for using in a corkidor or spritzing carboys or buckets. I can just take the top off the airlock and spritz a few times to bring the level up.

Back