Air gap in almost finished port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeymu1

Junior
Reaction score
I have a one-gallon batch of mixed berry port (elder, blackberry, blackcurrant and sloe) at 19% that is finished apart from needing to age about another year.

There is a 250ml air gap at the top of the demijohn/carboy/jar after the last racking. I could either bottle it now and let it age in there, or do I add a campden tablet to protect it from oxidation and let it age in the demijohn/carboy/jar?

On the other hand does the high abv mean that it will not oxidize?

What do the more experienced port-makers here say?

250ml head space in a 1 gallon container?

If that is correct then your OK on a port styled wine.

250ml head space in a 1 gallon container?

If that is correct then your OK on a port styled wine.

Thanks for your swift reply but forgive my lack of confidence - produced by many years of non-experience :h - do you mean that it's OK to leave it to age for another year with that amount of head space and if so, is it the high abv that will protect it from oxidation?

Do I need to stabilise it with k-meta and sorbate? (It's been stable at 1.012 for over 15 months now)

No, alcohol won't protect it from oxidation. Alcohol (high) will only protect it from refermentation (usually). It will oxidize if it gets enough air to it. 250ml = ~8 US oz. That is IMHO the upper limit probably of headspace for that amount. Ports can get away with oxidation as it (the taste can be masked by the high alcohol and sweetness). Tawny Ports are stored in barrels for years then more years in the bottles. If you are concerned I would top up with something similar or perhaps think about adding some marbles (good high quality glass ones preferably not from China, etc.) to bring up the volume more.

Hope this helps.

Oops.

Topped up with maybe too much brandy.

Now the fruit flavours are overshadowed!

Think I will leave it for a few more months.

Meantime, would anyone tell me what they consider the best chance I have of rescuing this?

Latest posts

Back