Aging your wine,, what do you prefer.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
If you have the time, and carboys,,
which do you prefer?
Bulk aging in the carboy or bottle aging.

I prefer bulk aging (with an air lock attached).

It helps with what is likely the biggest problem for home wine makers - degassing.

It allows additional racking to remove sediment that sometimes forms even after clearing the wine.

It lets one taste and make some future changes, like adding more oak, tannins/biolees, ..etc.

I prefer bulk aging (with an air lock attached).

It helps with what is likely the biggest problem for home wine makers - degassing.

It allows additional racking to remove sediment that sometimes forms even after clearing the wine.

It lets one taste and make some future changes, like adding more oak, tannins/biolees, ..etc.

I totally agree - i will bulk age for a long time in a carboy - to ensure there is no more sediment. I can draw samples to taste easier - i can monitor it better.

You should always if possible bulk age in a carboy. You have much less air to wine ratio. With this and kept in a cool enviroment your wine will age slower.

Time and carboys but also space - granted one carboy has a smaller footprint than two and half cases, but I can put boxes in places where I could never put a carboy so this has to be considered. Also peace of mind - once the wine is in the bottle you can pretty well forget about it, but while it's in the carboy you have to monitor it - a minor consideration but still a consideration.
A very prominent technical expert, Tim V., has said that the closure on a carboy is not as safe as a cork in a bottle when it comes to air leakage - I have no idea if this is so but he seems to know his stuff.
I prefer to bulk age for about 3-6 months and also try to follow Tim V's 5-20-40-90 schedule, which works out well for my number of carboys.

Back